[kictanet] ³Talk to Safaricom² Responses to Day 1 Questions - Request to USF/CA and Telcos

Mwendwa Kivuva Kivuva at transworldafrica.com
Wed Feb 15 23:14:12 EAT 2017

On 15 February 2017 at 19:41, Alwala, Rachel via kictanet <

> You will also recall that in a previous posting, I mentioned that the
> study deliverables included an online ICT Gaps geo-portal. The Geographic
> Information Systems (GIS) portal is one-stop online interactive platform
> created by the Communications Authority of Kenya to provide a view of the
> different layers of ICT coverage in Kenya. The Geo-Portal will be updated
> on a regular basis and will assist the Authority in the identification of
> the gaps for each service area by giving GPS coordinates for selected
> Universal Service clusters (access gaps) and required areas of
> intervention. The portal will also be used to determine the extent of
> communication coverage and the access levels by citizens. The map has
> been populated with different information layers such as Telecom (3G and 2G
> coverage from the 3 operators), postal network, broadcasting, Fibre routes,
> transportation, administrative boundaries, education health facilities,
> and electricity networks.  The link is available on the website but for
> your ease, you can click here to access it.http://kenyageoportal.ca.go.ke/
> ca_public/flash/?

Rachel, this tool is a gem in the rough. http://kenyageoportal.ca.go.ke/
ca_public/flash/? I absolutely love it bigly. I wish it could be ported to
a more responsive and UX friendly map platform. The LAYERS facility that
enables a user to filter different infrastructure components is great. I
know of people who vacate houses in Nairobi in search of reliable fibre
network. Now here lies the solution.