[kictanet] Day 3 of 6 (Wednesday) :-Innovators, Innovations & Suppliers (last call...)

Timothy- Coach- Oriedo timoriedo at gmail.com
Wed Feb 8 22:37:42 EAT 2017

On innovation; I would wish to know how I can access anonymised cell phone
location sensor data platform of all safaricom subscribers that will enable
building of a recommendation engine to benefit various industries.

Safaricom is sitting on a potential natural resource that if opened up can
benefit different industries from transport,  security, health care ,
education, environment etcetra

Think of an intelligent service that can inform the traffic department that
there is a noticeable surge of cellphone signals approaching town from a
particular direction say Limuru -Westlands and the traffic lights
proportionally allow more vehicles from that direction to pass through.
...wouldn't it be a step ahead in solving our ever present traffic menace?

Regards

Timothy Oriedo

about.me/Timoriedo

On 8 Feb 2017 8:26 pm, "Barrack Otieno via kictanet" <

> Hi Walu,
>
> Before the branch closes:
>
> 1. Does Safaricom support the TIVET Program or any Village Polytechnics
> which train most of our Crafts Men upcountry?, would be keen to know what
> kind of support they extend to this Village Innovation Centres.
>
> Best Regards
>
> On Wed, Feb 8, 2017 at 8:10 PM, Ali Hussein via kictanet <
>
>> Walu
>>
>> Thank you for keeping this conversation going.
>>
>> This in my humble opinion is where Safaricom scores a D- for me.
>>
>> There has been alot of (albeit unsubstantiated) complaints from the
>> Startup Ecosystem of how difficult it is to work with Safaricom when it
>> comes to:-
>>
>> 1. APIs and Integrations with other players especially when it comes to
>> MPesa. There are even cases where people have claimed that Safaricom has
>> acted like a Big Bully. Again unsubstantiated. This is obviously a case of
>> where Safaricom needs to be very cognizant of the role they play in
>> uplifting the Innovation Ecosystem in Kenya and Africa.
>>
>> Did Safaricom hound BitPesa out of Kenya?
>> <http://www.coindesk.com/safaricom-and-bitpesa/>
>>
>> 2. Its an accepted fact that working with the MPesa API is not a walk in
>> the park. They need to be take a CrowdSourcing Approach to this. To be fair
>> this has improved tremendously in the last few months. However, I believe
>> there's room for improvement.
>>
>> 3. Regulation. Its a fact of business today that Regulation and
>> Compliance can be a major hindrance to innovation. A case in point is the
>> burgeoning FinTech Space in Nairobi. How can Safaricom help startups
>> navigate this area?
>>
>> 4.  What is the long term strategy for MPesa?
>>

>> *Ali Hussein*
>>
>> *Principal*
>>
>> *Hussein & Associates*
>>

>> Tel: +254 713 601113
>>
>> Twitter: @AliHKassim
>>
>> Skype: abu-jomo
>>
>> LinkedIn: http://ke.linkedin.com/in/alihkassim
>> <http://ke.linkedin.com/in/alihkassim>
>>

>> 13th Floor , Delta Towers, Oracle Wing,
>>
>> Chiromo Road, Westlands,
>>
>> Nairobi, Kenya.
>>
>> Any information of a personal nature expressed in this email are purely
>> mine and do not necessarily reflect the official positions of the
>> organizations that I work with.
>>
>> On Wed, Feb 8, 2017 at 6:29 PM, Walubengo J via kictanet <
>>
>>> We have 6hrs to go before end of day.
>>>
>>> Just a reminder for those with questions to do so before tomorrow.
>>> Tomorrow we start on Infrastructure and Universal access issues.
>>>
>>> walu.

>>> 2. Competition Issues Day,
>>> 3. Innovators, Innovations & Suppliers Day,
>>> 4. Infrastructure & Universal Access Day,