[kictanet] Day 3 of 6 (Wednesday) :-Innovators, Innovations & Suppliers (last call...)

Ali Hussein ali at hussein.me.ke
Wed Feb 8 20:10:32 EAT 2017

Walu

Thank you for keeping this conversation going.

This in my humble opinion is where Safaricom scores a D- for me.

There has been alot of (albeit unsubstantiated) complaints from the Startup
Ecosystem of how difficult it is to work with Safaricom when it comes to:-

1. APIs and Integrations with other players especially when it comes to
MPesa. There are even cases where people have claimed that Safaricom has
acted like a Big Bully. Again unsubstantiated. This is obviously a case of
where Safaricom needs to be very cognizant of the role they play in
uplifting the Innovation Ecosystem in Kenya and Africa.

Did Safaricom hound BitPesa out of Kenya?
<http://www.coindesk.com/safaricom-and-bitpesa/>

2. Its an accepted fact that working with the MPesa API is not a walk in
the park. They need to be take a CrowdSourcing Approach to this. To be fair
this has improved tremendously in the last few months. However, I believe
there's room for improvement.

3. Regulation. Its a fact of business today that Regulation and Compliance
can be a major hindrance to innovation. A case in point is the burgeoning
FinTech Space in Nairobi. How can Safaricom help startups navigate this
area?

4.  What is the long term strategy for MPesa?

*Ali Hussein*

*Principal*

*Hussein & Associates*

Tel: +254 713 601113

Twitter: @AliHKassim

Skype: abu-jomo

<http://ke.linkedin.com/in/alihkassim>

13th Floor , Delta Towers, Oracle Wing,

Chiromo Road, Westlands,

Nairobi, Kenya.

Any information of a personal nature expressed in this email are purely
mine and do not necessarily reflect the official positions of the
organizations that I work with.

On Wed, Feb 8, 2017 at 6:29 PM, Walubengo J via kictanet <