[kictanet] The Politics of Data Privacy and Elections in KE

Mose Karanja mosekaranja at gmail.com
Sat Feb 4 19:05:32 EAT 2017

A pattern is very evident since late last year on database breaches for political ends.
------
"It appears that all ID numbers from perceived Jubilee strongholds have been run through the IEBC voters register to find out their registration status. The chiefs have been issued with sheets of papers containing mobile numbers of all residents within their locations and sub locations who are not registered.
…

“We got this data from the registrar of persons and the brief to the chiefs was to ascertain whether these people are registered. I don’t see anything wrong with that. We are not coercing anybody to register,” Sosio said. He added: “I don’t know whether the same is taking place in other counties but as you know, homes are run differently and this is how we have chosen to do it in Nyeri.”
-------
Read more:

https://www.standardmedia.co.ke/mobile/article/2001228175/revealed-inside-jubilee-s-vote-machine-to-beat-raila-odinga

---