[kictanet] Ni.ke hits the Kshs 1 billion (or $9.7m) mark in the premium domain auction of the .ke second level domain launch (Warning: This could be #FakeNews :-) )

Ali Hussein ali at hussein.me.ke
Fri Dec 29 10:35:33 EAT 2017

Washington

You simply can't do that..

You snooze you lose..

Besides which there's no law against 'Squatting' as you put it.. I detest
that word. Let's be circumspect on how we deal with issues.

Let's differentiate:-

*CyberSquatting* (the practice of registering names, especially well-known
company or brand names, as Internet domains, in the hope of reselling them
at a profit).

and

The *domain aftermarket* is the secondary market
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secondary_market> for Internet
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet> domain names
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Domain_name> in which a party interested in
acquiring a domain that is already registered bids or negotiates a price to
effect the transfer of registration from the registered holder of that
domain name.

The professional pursuit of speculation in the domain aftermarket
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Domain_name_speculation> is known as
domaining <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Domaining>. The domain aftermarket
has grown substantially, as an increasing number of generic domains names
that promise 'marketing appeal' and 'desirability' are registered by domain
warehouses, or resellers.

The domain aftermarket is facilitated by auction houses which provide
communication methods for buyers and sellers to interact, often
anonymously, to negotiate and close a transaction. They often provide
additional services, such as financial escrow services and domain parking
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Domain_parking>.

Regards

*Ali Hussein*

*Principal*

*Hussein & Associates*

Tel: +254 713 601113

Twitter: @AliHKassim

Skype: abu-jomo

<http://ke.linkedin.com/in/alihkassim>

13th Floor , Delta Towers, Oracle Wing,

Chiromo Road, Westlands,

Nairobi, Kenya.

Any information of a personal nature expressed in this email are purely
mine and do not necessarily reflect the official positions of the
organizations that I work with.

On Fri, Dec 29, 2017 at 10:02 AM, Odhiambo Washington via kictanet <