[kictanet] Talk to NCIC Day 3: Government Regulation of Fake News

Grace Mutung'u nmutungu at gmail.com
Sat Aug 19 08:45:18 EAT 2017

Listers,
In the US, there has been a rise in neo nazism. While the problem there is
more of hate speech than fake news, there are some things we can learn
about the principles of content regulation.
For example, some companies took away services from Daily Stormer, a neo
nazi website.
Rights groups such as EFF are concerned that while this is laudable, there
shouldn't be ad hoc and arbitrary regulatory actions.

One recommendation is the Mannila Principles on Intermediary Liability
where there should be a published policy on instances that can lead to
content takedowns and mechanisms for appeal of a takedown decision. Of
course content can be taken down on court orders.

Some of the fake news sites are on .ke domains. I wonder whether KENIC has
ever contemplated a content policy and if so whether domain owners are
aware of the same.

The EFF blog can be found here
https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2017/08/fighting-neo-nazis-future-free-expression

Have a nice weekend,

On 19 Aug 2017 08:12, "Francis Monyango via kictanet" <