[kictanet] Talk to NCIC Day 3: Government Regulation of Fake News

Ali Hussein ali at hussein.me.ke
Fri Aug 18 10:02:08 EAT 2017

Kanini and listers:-

*(a) Should the spreading of Fake News be a crime? How about when Fake News
leads to incitement? *

I'll be super careful not to fight/kill a mosquito with a hammer. Firstly,
unfortunately as mentioned earlier, Fake News is nothing more than
Propaganda. And Propaganda is a tool best used by State Players or Players
seeking to be State Players. So first let's address this issue. Let's look
at the biggest & baddest Fake News Purveyors in the world:-

1. Donald Trump.
2. Putin.

Need I say more?

As the NCIC threatens small bit players, I would like them to tell us how
they have dealt with  State Players or Players seeking to be State Players.
Unfortunately their record here leaves alot to be desired. There is enough
within the legal framework to prosecute those who deliberately seek to
mislead us and derail nation building.

*(b) The NCIC (National Cohesion and Integration Commission) and the CA
(Communications Authority); do these agencies have the sufficient mandate
to combat Fake News?*

I believe they do. The question is how willing they are to prosecute
culprits and how impartial they can be and should be.

*(c) Is it time we regulated social media use? How? *

Why not come into my bedroom too and regulate what I say to my wife?  How
about before the government issues a license for public
rallies/parties/weddings etc you give us a script on what to say or not to
say?

C'mon guys! We have been through this conversation before.

We have a constitution, a penal code. If we use these without fear or
favor, with impartiality we should be in a good place.

*Ali Hussein*

*Principal*

*Hussein & Associates*

Tel: +254 713 601113

Twitter: @AliHKassim

Skype: abu-jomo

<http://ke.linkedin.com/in/alihkassim>

13th Floor , Delta Towers, Oracle Wing,

Chiromo Road, Westlands,

Nairobi, Kenya.

Any information of a personal nature expressed in this email are purely
mine and do not necessarily reflect the official positions of the
organizations that I work with.

On Fri, Aug 18, 2017 at 8:54 AM, kanini mutemi via kictanet <