[kictanet] Talk to NCIC Day 3: Government Regulation of Fake News

kanini mutemi kaninimutemi at gmail.com
Fri Aug 18 08:54:20 EAT 2017

Good morning Listers,

Welcome to Day 3 of engaging with NCIC on Fake News. We have so far spent
some time looking at the impact of Fake News and teasing out what different
stakeholders can do to fight Fake News. Since we are in agreement that Fake
News has become a menace, *is it time the government regulated Fake News? *

Today's guiding questions:

*(a) Should the spreading of Fake News be a crime? How about when Fake News
leads to incitement? *

*(b) The NCIC (National Cohesion and Integration Commission) and the CA
(Communications Authority); do these agencies have the sufficient mandate
to combat Fake News?*
*(c) Is it time we reguated social media use? How? *

​Looking forward ​to hearing your views!

--
*Mercy Mutemi*.