[kictanet] Talk to NCIC Day 1: Users and Fake News

kanini mutemi kaninimutemi at gmail.com
Thu Aug 17 10:03:18 EAT 2017

Dear Listers,

We are off to a great start! Thank you for taking the time to participate
in Day 1 discussions. I have to say the quality of contributions is
commendable! I look forward to more on Day 2 and Day 3 discussions.  Just
to sum up:

*On (a): Why is there an increase in the prevalence of Fake News recently?*

There is consensus that Fake News is a new that is not new. The increase of
media and ICT distribution channels has amplified the distribution of what
was simply referred to as propaganda. Data mining/analysis companies and
bloggers have turned it into a business model. The situation is worsened by
State Players who have become perpetrators of Fake News as seen in the
improper pursuit of political interests. In the electioneering period,
political parties, having noted the instantaneous efficiency of Fake News,
have invested in it to gain mileage. Lack of accountability for
perpetrators of Fake News also incentivises its spread.

 I would like to reiterate for the benefit of the NCIC that one of our
unique Kenyan problems is that Fake News often takes ethnic dimensions.
Given the situation of our country and its history, this is something that
needs to be addressed.

*On (b): What is the role of different categories of users in combating
Fake News?*

A clarion call has been issued to invest in a National Value System
recognizing Fake News jeopardizes the gains of the Internet as we risk the
loss of trust in media platforms. There is an opportunity for the civil
society to ‘protect the truth’ and a further call to invest in civic
education. Unequivocally, all stakeholders have a duty to call out Fake
News. We must create awareness on what Fake News is, its impact, how to
spot it and how to stop it. There was an ingenious proposal to engage
Bloggers as possible combatants of Fake News as they already enjoy wide
readership.

 *On (c): Have Kenyans given up or are there good practices in combating
Fake News?*

It is commendable that Kenyans have taken to Fact checking and calling out
Fake News posts. Some Kenyans are able to spot Fake News quite fast.
Unfortunately, there is also a feeling that Kenyans are beginning to lose
trust in the information they receive.

*On (d): Is Fake News a manifestation of deeper societal issues and if so,
are there ways of combating it other than resolving the societal issues?*

It is in agreement that indeed there are deeper societal issues. It has
been proposed that as we look for ways to combat Fake News as an issue
itself, we must also address underlying issues like the obsession with
public office and negative ethnicity.

*On (e): We have Bloggers who are seen as influencers. Do they have a
higher duty when communicating?*

Bloggers do have a higher duty. However, for some, Fake News is a business
model with assured traffic. Given that blogging is a highly unregulated
field- anyone can be a blogger, it may be difficult to enforce this duty.
​This is not the end of this conversation. Feel free to add a comment. We
will now proceed to Day 2 discussions. ​

​Asanteni sana!​

*Mercy Mutemi*.