[kictanet] Best example for the need of protection from the media itself

Eshuchi Richard eshuchi.richard at gmail.com
Wed Aug 2 14:47:51 EAT 2017

Good afternoon,

People, including on this list, often tend to draw conclusions from what
they've seen/read/heard from mainstream media sources. I've equally shared
my frustrations of the same hoping that we can take the information
reported as opinions and therefore seek more so as to come up with
conclusive deductions, especially on issues of public interest.

The fortunate history of the media used as a tool for self-rule and its
unfortunate history of being curtailed, gagged in Kenya and around the
world has made the industry seem synonymous with 'advocating for rights'
meaning whatever is reported is assumed to be in the best interest of the
public. To a certain extent, this has been true but then came the issue of
gaining and retaining viewers/readers/listeners. This is where the truth
was sidelined for half truths, sensational and scandalous news which
inadvertently misinforms the public.

But then comes the deeper question, does the media have a responsibility to
tell the truth, whole truth and nothing but the truth? Indeed, as code of
conduct, reporting is expected to be fair, accurate and unbiased. We
however, have to be alive to the fact that the media is beholden to their
stakeholders and advertisers. Customers are also included because
apparently, sensational and scandalous news is what the audience want.

In my view, the media has no obligation to report the truth or facts
because there is nowhere such a responsibility is derived. They can report
all that they want as long as it is not criminal in nature. Yesterday's
bleep evidently exhibits that reporting is just like laying allegations; It
could or could not be true and it is up to aggrieved to prove otherwise.

I therefore urge listers to take information from media as opinion pieces;
That's their point of view. In cases where reporting is on public servants
and institutions, seek clarity as they are the ones constitutionally
accountable and from them, truth and facts can be demanded.

Regards,
*Eshuchi Richard*

On 2 August 2017 at 07:24, Ali Hussein via kictanet <

> Dorcas
>
> I concur with you in this case. 'Mainstream' media ought to do better than
> bloggers if simply because they have better resources. This was a case of
> compounding an already volatile situation with the murder of our brother
> Chris. They should have done basic corroboration and gone beyond innuendo.
>
> However, we should be careful not to throw the baby with the bath water..
>
> Regards
>
> *Ali Hussein*
>
> *Principal*
>
> *Hussein & Associates*
>

> Tel: +254 713 601113
>
> Twitter: @AliHKassim
>
> Skype: abu-jomo

> <http://ke.linkedin.com/in/alihkassim>
>

> 13th Floor , Delta Towers, Oracle Wing,
>
> Chiromo Road, Westlands,
>
> Nairobi, Kenya.
>
> Any information of a personal nature expressed in this email are purely
> mine and do not necessarily reflect the official positions of the
> organizations that I work with.
>
> On Tue, Aug 1, 2017 at 1:19 PM, Dorcas Muthoni via kictanet <
>
>> Earlier Today
>>
>> https://www.standardmedia.co.ke/ktnnews/video/2000134625/-br
>> eaking-news-kdf-spokesperson-colonel-joseph-owuoth-has-gone-missing
>>
>> Now
>> https://www.standardmedia.co.ke/ktnnews/video/2000134629/-de
>> veloping-story-kdf-spokesperson-colonel-joseph-owuoth-
>> confirms-that-he-is-alive

>> ailman/options/kictanet/info%40alyhussein.com

> mailman/options/kictanet/eshuchi.richard%40gmail.com

Regards,
*Eshuchi Richard*