[kictanet] Best example for the need of protection from the media itself

James Kagwe kagwejg at gmail.com
Tue Aug 1 21:38:02 EAT 2017

I think the media ought to confirm all sensational information before
disseminating. This is very important especially at this time given the way
the country is polarised. I personally became very anxious when I heard of
the news which was swiftly followed by alot of bile from the social media
where someone had already long made their conclusions about the status of
the officer and accused others of perpetrating the crime.

I guess the media would have taken the trouble to contact the necessary
authorities first. Why is it that some of the media houses are very swift
in disseminating the bad as opposed to the good? Why is it that some of us
behave like we have another country to live other than Kenya? Why are we so
partial and swift in accusing others and not pausing to ask ourselves how
we would feel if we were accused ourselves?. Why is it that we consider
those who shout loudest and cry wolf as innocent without taking time to get
our facts right?

The media must exercise caution and responsible reporting. If this county
burns we all go to hell.

Regards
James

On Aug 1, 2017 8:35 PM, "Wamathai (HapaKenya) via kictanet" <

Anyone can make a mistake in the course of discharging their duties.
However, as with any profession, there are remedies. and in this case a
retraction was issued. I don't think we should conflate a few incidents
into an issue with media in general.

-----

James Wamathai | CEO, hapakenya.com

e: w at hapakenya.com | Twitter: @Wamathai <http://twitter.com/wamathai>

Follow Hapa Kenya: *Twitter*: @HapaKenya <http://twitter.com/hapaKenya>,
*FB*: fb.com/HapaKenya

On 1 August 2017 at 13:19, Dorcas Muthoni via kictanet <

> Earlier Today
>
> https://www.standardmedia.co.ke/ktnnews/video/2000134625/-br
> eaking-news-kdf-spokesperson-colonel-joseph-owuoth-has-gone-missing
>
> Now
> https://www.standardmedia.co.ke/ktnnews/video/2000134629/-de
> veloping-story-kdf-spokesperson-colonel-joseph-owuoth-
> confirms-that-he-is-alive

> ailman/options/kictanet/w%40hapakenya.com

mailman/options/kictanet/kagwejg%40gmail.com

The Kenya ICT Action Network (KICTANet) is a multi-stakeholder platform for
people and institutions interested and involved in ICT policy and
regulation. The network aims to act as a catalyst for reform in the ICT
sector in support of the national aim of ICT enabled growth and development.

KICTANetiquette : Adhere to the same standards of acceptable behaviors
online that you follow in real life: respect people's times and bandwidth,
share knowledge, don't flame or abuse or personalize, respect privacy, do
not spam, do not market your wares or qualifications.