[kictanet] Safaricom may face sanctions over network outage-its a risk management issue

Walubengo J jwalu at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 26 13:56:48 EAT 2017

@Areba,
Agreed with Point (a).  No one should be punished for being dominant, unless they abuse the dominance.Agreed with Point (b). Abuse of dominance is already defined in KICA laws and CA regulations (just google :-)
As for Kenya Power (& Darkness?), they are a legal distribution monopoly, though there has been attempts to change this. More like what we had during the Kenya Posts & Telcoms days.
I think what Ngigi and I have tried to do but failed miserably,  is to try and raise the conversation above 'bashing' or 'protecting' Safcom. That really is not the point.
The point is that as a country we have a single-point of failure, when it comes to mobile money or internet services (yes there are options, but not effective options in terms of geographic reach & depth, as well as social scope and scale).
We can chose to pray and hope that the single point of failure, never fails; or we can play the devil's advocate and think about what Kenyans will do, when and if the single point failure does fail - as it did recently.
It's called risk-management at a national level. It is an agenda that perhaps the National Security Council should be having. Not small timers like me, Ngigi, Ali, Areba  et al :-)
walu.nb: am not closing the debate, I am just saying lets look at it from a macro rather than a micro level.