[kictanet] Safaricom may face sanctions over network outage

S.M. Muraya murigi.muraya at gmail.com
Wed Apr 26 10:14:11 EAT 2017

@Ngigi, Well noted.

@Ali NOFBI is a good reason to invest further in Telkom Kenya.

http://icta.go.ke/national-optic-fibre-backbone-nofbi/

It is a governance/political issue here, not a market issue.

Fortunately for Kenya, we have a CS who understands markets, investors and
now governance.

NSE listed firms are collapsing because corruption networks prioritize
dishonest gain over service delivery (which includes building up Kenyan
talent/firms).

Asset recovery will occur if/when our Security & Judiciary officials resist
loot offered to them.

http://www.breitbart.com/texas/2017/04/25/ted-cruz-calls-14-billion-seized-el-chapo-fund-border-wall/

Some of these funds could be utilized to build up NOFBI (network
infrastructure) and communication channels (radio, text, portals, etc) to
engage citizenry in a civil (non political) manner on day to day issues
such as security, extortion, careless driving, etc.

On Apr 25, 2017 9:17 PM, "Ngigi Waithaka via kictanet" <

Now, the big issue is that Safaricom rans a very large part of our
country's 'core' infrastructure and it would be *very irresponsible* of the
regulators to sit back, looking at the scraps of 'competition' as a healthy
industry and hope against hope that nothing evil would befall Safaricom.

Even Safaricom themselves have a policy of buying their core equipment from
at least *TWO* separate vendors , regardless of how good a deal one vendor
could give them in total. They don''t leave it to the market to decide!

Its called *RISK MANAGEMENT*

So, if they can do that for their own equipment, it is only prudent that we
as a country also have proper risk management in our core services. It is
*NOT* a question of splitting the firm, but ensuring, by whatever means
necessary, that we have at least 3 credible options.