[kictanet] Mobile money access: Rosy numbers that do not quite add up

Admin CampusCiti info at campusciti.com
Thu Apr 20 10:02:27 EAT 2017

@Nanjira

Thanks for sharing.

Interesting article. For me the take home from this article is this:-

1. It is clear to me that physical cash is still King. Reminds me of the comment by Brian, the Head of Mpesa Product Development, at the Talk2Safaricom meet up that cash transactions still represent more than 90% of transactions in Kenya.

2. That the focus now needs to shift heavily towards digital transactions as opposed to adding more cash out/in points in the form of agents.

3. That consumer education in transacting within the digital/mobile money ecosystem needs to be ramped up. In this area Safaricom's Lipa Na Mpesa is a good initiative. The UX/CX (User or Customer experience however is still in the dark ages and need to be ramped up pretty fast)

4. I'll be keen to see how the KBA initiative (PesaLink) is doing.

5. Our Kakas and Dadas from Tanzania are catching up fast in the use of mobile money.

Ali Hussein
Hussein & Associates
+254 0713 601113 / 0770906375

Twitter: @AliHKassim
Skype: abu-jomo
Blog: www.alyhussein.com

"Discovery consists in seeing what everyone else has seen and thinking what no one else has thought".  ~ Albert Szent-Györgyi

Sent from my iPad