[kictanet] Tech and Elections Law

Daudi Were daudi.were at gmail.com
Fri Sep 23 14:49:11 EAT 2016

Listers,

The Elections Law (Amendment) Bill, 2016
<http://kenyalaw.org/kl/fileadmin/pdfdownloads/bills/2016/ElectionsLaw_Amendment_Bill_2016.pdf>
[pdf
606 KB] was tabled in Bunge on 26th August.

Nine parts that jumped out at me.

   - 2(e) defines "biometric" which includes "signatures"
   - 4(2) IEBC has to a "public web portal" for inspection of the register
   of members of the public.
   - 44(2) IEBC to develop a policy on the progressive use of technology in
   the electoral process.
   - 44(7)(a) technology used for 2017 restricted to the process of voter
   registration, identification of voters and results transmission; (No
   electronic voting this time round)

On the tech itself (open source only solutions?)

   - 44 (3) technology should be simple, accurate, verifiable, secure,
   accountable and transparent.
   - 44 (5)(f) IEBC and others need "access to electoral system software
   source codes"

On timelines IEBC

   - 8A. (1) at least six months before a general election, engage a
   professional reputable firm to conduct an audit of the Register of Voters
   - 44 (7)(b) tech has to be procured at least eight months before the
   general election (Dec 2016 for an Aug 2017 election)
   - 44 (7)(b) test, verify and deploy such technology at least sixty days
   before a general election.

I suspect some of the members here were instrumental in drafting section
44. I would be interested to hear their thoughts on the process.
Particularly interested in

   1. the push for open source software. (Disclosure, I am currently the
   CEO of Ushahidi <https://www.ushahidi.com/> - we build and use open
   source software)
   2. whether we feel the timelines are realistic

Daudi Were | daudi at were.co.ke
Technology + Strategy
Too brief? Here's why! http://emailcharter.org