[kictanet] CA denies governors radio permits - Daily Nation

Ahmed Mohamed Maawy ultimateprogramer at gmail.com
Wed Sep 21 13:22:28 EAT 2016

Excuse my rather off topic question, but its a question I have learnt to
ask when it comes to matters devolution - especially at the trends being
set up by our owners of the *devolved eco-systems*.

Does it come with *additional* levies?

On Wed, Sep 21, 2016 at 1:14 PM, Grace Mutung'u (Bomu) via kictanet <

> Interesting. How do we interpret Part IX of the County Governments Act?
> Section 95:
> (1) A County government shall establish mechanisms to facilitate public
> communication and access to information in the form of media with the
> widest
> public outreach in the county, which may include—
>
> (a) television stations;
> (b) information communication technology centres;
> (c) websites;
> (d) community radio stations;
> (e) public meetings; and
> (f) traditional media.
>
> (2) The county government shall encourage and facilitate other means of
> mass communication including traditional media.
>

> Regards,

> kictanet at lists.kictanet.or.ke>:
>
>> Tony
>>
>> If that were the case then why doesn't the CA just come out and say it?
>>
>> Talking about broadcasting being a National Function makes a nonsense of
>> the current dispensation.
>>
>> *Ali Hussein*
>> *Principal*
>> *Hussein & Associates*
>> +254 0713 601113
>>
>> Twitter: @AliHKassim
>>
>> Skype: abu-jomo
>>
>> LinkedIn: http://ke.linkedin.com/in/alihkassim
>>

>> "Discovery consists in seeing what everyone else has seen and thinking
>> what no one else has thought".  ~ Albert Szent-Györgyi
>>
>> Sent from my iPad
>>
>> On 21 Sep 2016, at 9:53 AM, Tony White via kictanet <
>>
>> Ali,
>>
>> I suspect this has more to do with frequency availability.  On a
>> 200kHz 'channel' spacing, there are only 150 distinct frequencies
>> available.  If one county is granted a licence, it won't be long
>> before the other 46 counties would want in on the act.
>>
>> Of course, frequencies may be re-used based on geographical separation
>> - but this requires a level of planning skill they maybe don't have?
>>
>> The 'constitution' excuse is just a convenient way of avoiding the issue
>> ;)
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Tony
>>

>> On 21/09/2016, Ali Hussein via kictanet <kictanet at lists.kictanet.or.ke>
>> wrote:
>>
>> The Communications Authority of Kenya (CA) has denied county governments
>>
>> permits to set up radio stations, stirring a fresh storm between Nairobi
>> and
>>
>> the devolved units.
>>

>> The telecoms sector regulator has rejected 20 county government
>> applications
>>
>> seeking FM radio broadcast bands, arguing that broadcasting is not a
>>
>> devolved function.
>>

>> Read on:-
>>

>> http://www.nation.co.ke/news/CA-denies-governors-radio-broad
>> casting-permits/1056-3389218-80o9cqz/
>>

>> Ali Hussein
>>
>> Principal
>>
>> Hussein & Associates
>>
>> +254 0713 601113

> [...]

*Ahmed Maawy*
Executive Director - SwahiliBox / M-Power (CBO)
Curator - Global Shapers Mombasa Hub
Ambassador - Open Knowledge
Director - Startup Grind Mombasa
Software Developer - AJ+ / EveryLayer