[kictanet] Telkom Kenya cries foul over social media’s free ride on its - Corporate News

Ahmed Mohamed Maawy ultimateprogramer at gmail.com
Wed Sep 14 12:45:19 EAT 2016

Thats an interesting question Mwendwa, especially taking into light these
players are setting up Internet facilities. The way the future goes is that
if Internet is a penetrating force like it is today the traditional "Telco"
model will be a redundant feature to have in our smart phone models.

I wrote abit on this earlier (The Telecommunications Revolution is here):
https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/telecommunication-
revolution-here-ahmed-mohamed-maawy?trk=prof-post

On Wed, Sep 14, 2016 at 12:05 PM, Mwendwa Kivuva via kictanet <

> I am just wondering what would happen to their data revenue if Facebook,
> Google, Youtube, Twitter and Netflix users stop using the network for those
> services. Is there business not selling data regardless of the use of the
> data?
>
> ______________________
> Mwendwa Kivuva, Nairobi, Kenya
> twitter.com/lordmwesh
>

> On 14 September 2016 at 11:44, Barrack Otieno via kictanet <
>
>> Interesting paper Mwende,
>>
>> What would the internet be without OTT and content? Back to basics.
>>

>> Regards
>>
>> On 9/14/16, Mwende Njiraini via kictanet <kictanet at lists.kictanet.or.ke>
>> wrote:
>> > Good morning
>> >
>> > The network neutrality debate has landed on the shores of Africa.
>> >
>> > Here is an excerpt of an academic paper i had written some time back.
>> >
>> > *The net neutrality debate can be viewed as the next battle between the
>> > netheads and the bellheads; providers of broadband access on one side
>> and
>> > Internet content and application providers on the other side. Frieden
>> > (cited Orlowski 2006) states that the Bellheads are investing heavily in
>> > fiber capability which will solve a problem that the “Netheads” have
>> proved
>> > themselves unable or unwilling to tackle, that of high quality video
>> over
>> > IP.*
>> >

>> > *Given that US government is keen to facilitate the rollout of universal
>> > and affordable broadband[1] <#_ftn1>.  It can be argued that the
>> aggressive
>> > fiber rollouts could suffer if network operator shares continue to lose
>> > value making it difficult to blame the companies if they did slow down
>> roll
>> > out. The companies, after all, have a duty to shareholders to pursue
>> > maximum profits not necessarily to fulfill the goals of Internet
>> advocates
>> > (Drucker, 2006).   However one has to be careful in analysing the
>> market as
>> > forces in telecommunications can be misleading. Telephone companies, for
>> > example, get billions of dollars in federal and state subsidies for
>> rural
>> > service.   Access charges are designed to compensate network providers
>> for
>> > the use of their facilities and the compensation scheme is in part funds
>> > universal service.  Additionally, these companies may be claiming more
>> in
>> > the depreciation and the value of their assets.  *
>> >

>> > *Regulators may therefore seek to eliminate access charges by allowing
>> > rates to rise to cover network cost if not service providers should pay
>> > access charges.  This is however difficult to implement politically on
>> the
>> > basis of public interest.  Additionally, it is equally difficult to
> [...]

*Ahmed Maawy*
Executive Director - SwahiliBox / M-Power (CBO)
Curator - Global Shapers Mombasa Hub
Ambassador - Open Knowledge
Director - Startup Grind Mombasa
Software Developer - AJ+ / EveryLayer