[kictanet] Facebook Versus the Media [feedly]

Mildred Achoch mildandred at gmail.com
Wed Sep 14 10:14:48 EAT 2016

In short, I disagree. Facebook IS a media company. Granted, it is not a
media company in the conventional, traditional sense. But that is the
point. The nature of media companies today is totally different from what
they were in the 20th century. Just yesterday, I attended a workshop
courtesy of Kenya Film Commission. The speaker, a filmmaker and founder of
a South African media company, talked about "transmedia". Even the way that
audiences consume films has drastically changed. There are emerging
phenomena such as "second screening" where, as someone is watching a movie,
they are also Tweeting, Facebooking etc.

Long story short, Facebook cannot run away from the fact that it is
inextricably link to all other types of media. In fact, it has more
influence and more power than other types of media. Personally, I never
watch news or buy newspapers. But when something big happens, I invariably
learn about it via Facebook or Twitter.

And let's be honest, more and more, "traditional" media companies are
getting their news from social media!

Regards,
Mildred Achoch.

Check out the Rock 'n' roll film festival, Kenya TV Channel!
http://kenyarockfilmfestivaljournal.blogspot.com

On Wed, Sep 14, 2016 at 9:30 AM, Sidney Ochieng via kictanet <