[kictanet] Permission Marketing and misuse of customer data by Telcos

Ali Hussein ali at hussein.me.ke
Tue Nov 15 08:10:17 EAT 2016

Rosemary and all

Nancy Matimu, Safaricom's Consumer Head of Products has been super responsive to my complaints and I'm happy to say that all the subscriptions that I had purported to have subscribed to have been deleted and monies refunded. Further more Nancy has promised to:-

1. Deal with such complaints with her team.
2. Promised to look into rogue activity by their Content Partners and take stern action against any culprits.
3. Hold a meeting with all their partners at the end of this month to sensitize them and warn them against such rogue activities.

I'd encourage all of us to engage her team in rooting out this illegal activity.

We need more of these interactions between consumers and companies like Safaricom.

Thank you all.

Ali Hussein
Principal
Hussein & Associates
+254 0713 601113

Twitter: @AliHKassim
Skype: abu-jomo

"Discovery consists in seeing what everyone else has seen and thinking what no one else has thought".  ~ Albert Szent-Györgyi

Sent from my iPad

> On 14 Nov 2016, at 12:13 PM, Ali Hussein <ali at hussein.me.ke> wrote:
>
> Rosemary
>
> Can't agree with you more. Safaricom has engaged but I feel that this issue is. Dry widespread. Action needs to be taken..
>
> Ali Hussein
> Principal
> Hussein & Associates
> +254 0713 601113
>
> Twitter: @AliHKassim
> Skype: abu-jomo
>

> "Discovery consists in seeing what everyone else has seen and thinking what no one else has thought".  ~ Albert Szent-Györgyi
>
> Sent from my iPad
>
>> On 14 Nov 2016, at 11:54 AM, Rosemary Koech-Kimwatu <chemukoechk at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Dear Listers,
>>
>> I have also fallen victim to the gaming charges which were apparently approved online. The following must happen:-
>>
>> 1. Regular updates of all the services one is subscribed to and it should not be the responsibility of the user to inquire.
>>
>> 2. All other suppliers send regular updates on charges for services/goods consumed, there is absolutely no reason why charges should be made blindly. Telcos el al are not exempt.
>>
>> 3. Failure to the above then we have the right to take legal action against all the parties involved in this rip off. There's clearly an abuse of consumer rights and misuse of customers' private information.
>>
>> Kind regards,
>>
>> Rosemary Koech-Kimwatu.
>>

>>> On 14 Nov 2016 11:37, "Ali Hussein via kictanet" <kictanet at lists.kictanet.or.ke> wrote:
>>> It would really help to get a comment from the following players:-
>>>
>>> 1. Telcos
>>> 2. PRSPs/CSPs