[kictanet] EU PLANS TO LIFT BARRIERS ON INTERNET SHOPPING AND IMPOSE QUOTAS ON NETFLIX

DigitalTVAfrica wainaina at DigitalTVAfrica.com
Sat May 28 13:08:24 EAT 2016

Interesting views on content quotas, commercial case and local content
production.

Quota systems do not grow local content; but incentives to production
houses and broadcasters will spur growth. Production requires investment,
therefore broadcasters/video production houses will invest where there is a
business case - whether in the EU or here in Kenya. The Citizen TV success
story is a case in point -
http://www.cto.int/media/events/pst-ev/2014/DBSF/Wainaina%20Mungai.pdf . It
worked for them because they gave Kenyans what the audience asked for - it
was not even about the "quality" of local content. It was "local",
"relevant" and "general exhibition" or mass market; meaning something your
grandmother and your grandson can sit and watch together.

Ali says, *"**The point is there are many people beyond Kenya who may be
interested but may not know where to find them."*  But all that local
content is available on http://www.kenyamoja.com/tv/ live and on the
 websites of each TV stations. However, broadcasters/producers need to
explore the case for distributing and monetizing their archived local
content as VoD on Netflix or similar platforms - which can be justified
using *diaspora demand* for the Kenyamoja-style free live streaming.

Before analogue switch-off, the local content stations succeeded because
they had much better terrestrial coverage - so local content & good
distribution delivered the stellar results. However, digital migration took
away that distribution/coverage advantage. They now have to find new
distribution channels that may demand better production quality. They also
have to make a decision on how to comply with regulation as they mix their
PayTV and Free-to-Air business models.

Regards,
Wainaina

Digital Television policy, regulation and technology in Africa on issues
relating to Consumers, Content and Coverage.

On Sat, May 28, 2016 at 12:20 PM, Ahmed Mohamed Maawy via kictanet <

> [...]
>
>> Ahmed
>>
>> As the people on this list who watch:-
>>
>> 1. House of Cards
>> 2. Game of Thrones
>> 3. Person of interest
>> Etc
>>
>> If they pay for them..
>>
>> The point is there are many people beyond Kenya who amy be interested but
>> may not know where to find them.
>>
>> There is huge demand for local content. We just don't have enough of it
>> and lack of platforms too..
>>
>> *Ali Hussein*
>> *Principal*
>> *Hussein & Associates*
>> +254 0713 601113
>>
>> Twitter: @AliHKassim
>>
>> Skype: abu-jomo
>>
>> LinkedIn: http://ke.linkedin.com/in/alihkassim
>>

>> "Discovery consists in seeing what everyone else has seen and thinking
>> what no one else has thought".  ~ Albert Szent-Györgyi
>>
>> Sent from my iPad
>>
>> On 28 May 2016, at 11:26 AM, Ahmed Mohamed Maawy <
>> ultimateprogramer at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Well Ali I think we are differentiating here between an aired for free
>> content and content people will need to pay for. And I can say this for
>> free that the only content we have pirated for that as Kenyans is Nairobi
>> Half Life. But we eagerly pirate Nollywood content. I think that says
>> something already. Nollywood is already available on channels that are paid
>> TV content and people actually watch.
>>
>> I understand you are talking about Citizen TV aired content? Which has
>> the best coverage countrywide? Lets analyze paid content - DSTV, Zuku, etc.
>> These are demographics NetFlix will need to see. What is the habit of such
>> people?
>>
>> On Sat, May 28, 2016 at 9:56 AM, Ali Hussein <ali at hussein.me.ke> wrote:
>>
>>> Ahmed
>>>
>>> Actually you are wrong there. The top viewed programme in the country
>>> are not foreign. They are local.
>>>
>>> Papa Shirandula, Mother in Law, Tahidi High etc top the billing. It just
>>> makes commercial   sense to have them on..
>>>
>>> *Ali Hussein*
>>> *Principal*
>>> *Hussein & Associates*
>>> +254 0713 601113
>>>
>>> Twitter: @AliHKassim
>>>
>>> Skype: abu-jomo
>>>
>>> LinkedIn: http://ke.linkedin.com/in/alihkassim
>>>

>>> "Discovery consists in seeing what everyone else has seen and thinking
>>> what no one else has thought".  ~ Albert Szent-Györgyi
>>>
>>> Sent from my iPad
>>>
>>> On 27 May 2016, at 8:52 PM, Ahmed Mohamed Maawy via kictanet <
>>> kictanet at lists.kictanet.or.ke> wrote:
>>>
>>> I do agree with the notion Grace. I feel though the proposal to do so is
>>> not going to sell. Simply because you can not sell something that the local
>>> audience is not keen to watch any way. If the market can not show concrete
>>> local viewership in a place like Nairobi (to people who own a credit card -
>>> who are mostly on DSTV) then its going to be a tough sale.

>>> www.okfn.org <http://okfn.org/>
>>> startupgrind.com
>>> ajplus.net