[kictanet] EU PLANS TO LIFT BARRIERS ON INTERNET SHOPPING AND IMPOSE QUOTAS ON NETFLIX

Ahmed Mohamed Maawy ultimateprogramer at gmail.com
Sat May 28 11:36:52 EAT 2016

Let it be not be understood that the content is not interesting. What I am
pointing to here is the fact that we need to really put in a lot more
effort to even make this content appealing for people who can go out and
pay for it, right here in Kenya. Nairobi Half Life is a case study for the
movie and content industry for content that has worked out. We need to
follow the Nairobi Half Life case study keenly.

Then Netflix follows.

On Sat, May 28, 2016 at 11:26 AM, Ahmed Mohamed Maawy <
ultimateprogramer at gmail.com> wrote:

> Well Ali I think we are differentiating here between an aired for free
> content and content people will need to pay for. And I can say this for
> free that the only content we have pirated for that as Kenyans is Nairobi
> Half Life. But we eagerly pirate Nollywood content. I think that says
> something already. Nollywood is already available on channels that are paid
> TV content and people actually watch.
>
> I understand you are talking about Citizen TV aired content? Which has the
> best coverage countrywide? Lets analyze paid content - DSTV, Zuku, etc.
> These are demographics NetFlix will need to see. What is the habit of such
> people?
>
> On Sat, May 28, 2016 at 9:56 AM, Ali Hussein <ali at hussein.me.ke> wrote:
>
>> Ahmed
>>
>> Actually you are wrong there. The top viewed programme in the country are
>> not foreign. They are local.
>>
>> Papa Shirandula, Mother in Law, Tahidi High etc top the billing. It just
>> makes commercial   sense to have them on..
>>
>> *Ali Hussein*
>> *Principal*
>> *Hussein & Associates*
>> +254 0713 601113
>>
>> Twitter: @AliHKassim
>>
>> Skype: abu-jomo
>>
>> LinkedIn: http://ke.linkedin.com/in/alihkassim
>>

>> "Discovery consists in seeing what everyone else has seen and thinking
>> what no one else has thought".  ~ Albert Szent-Györgyi
>>
>> Sent from my iPad
>>
>> On 27 May 2016, at 8:52 PM, Ahmed Mohamed Maawy via kictanet <
>>
>> I do agree with the notion Grace. I feel though the proposal to do so is
>> not going to sell. Simply because you can not sell something that the local
>> audience is not keen to watch any way. If the market can not show concrete
>> local viewership in a place like Nairobi (to people who own a credit card -
>> who are mostly on DSTV) then its going to be a tough sale.
>>
>> On Fri, May 27, 2016 at 8:33 PM, Grace Githaiga via kictanet <
>>
>>> + 1 Waithaka. And this should have been or still should be what we
>>> should negotiate with Netflix as opposed to insisting on subjecting them to
>>> our rules. Netflix should also carry a certain percentage of our local
>>> content.
>>>
>>> Rgds
>>>

>>> ------------------------------
>>> Date: Thu, 26 May 2016 10:22:29 +0300
>>> Subject: Re: [kictanet] EU PLANS TO LIFT BARRIERS ON INTERNET SHOPPING
>>> AND IMPOSE QUOTAS ON NETFLIX
>>> From: kictanet at lists.kictanet.or.ke
>>> CC: ngigi at at.co.ke; kictanet at lists.kictanet.or.ke
>>> To: ggithaiga at hotmail.com
>>>

>>> Lots of sense. Can you imagine if Vioja, Vitimbi, Tahamaki All Episodes
>>> were‎ on Netflix?
>>>
>>> Waithaka Ngigi
>>>
>>> Alliance Technologies
>>> www.at.co.ke