[kictanet] Fwd: [Internet Policy] Blogpost: A4AI: Who Could Oppose a More Affordable Internet? The Alliance for an Affordable Internet (A4AI) and the Neo-liberal Stealth Campaign to Control the Internet Throughout the Developing World

John Kariuki ngethe.kariuki2007 at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Mar 23 20:22:22 EAT 2016

Barrack,I must thank you very much for drawing attention to Mike Gursten's comments.For me the most telling clause is the following:
'The A4AI “Best Practices” are a clear attempt to superimpose aneo-liberal market fundamentalism on what would otherwise be a well-meaningattempt to reduce the cost of Internet access for the next billions of users.'

The subject of "neo-liberal market fundamentalism" is at this time globally 'politically incorrect'  despite increasing evidence of its massive failures in a very large number of cases.I would therefore urge listers to take an interest in the comments and discuss them.
I would also recommend further reading on the subject in the book 'Market Failure and the Delusions of Privatisation' by Warwick Funnel,Robert Jupe and Jane Andrew.,Pluto Press.

John Kariuki

To: Internet Policy External <internetpolicy at elists.isoc.org>

<https://gurstein.wordpress.com/2016/03/20/a4ai-who-could-oppose-a-more-affo
rdable-internet-the-alliance-for-an-affordable-internet-a4ai-and-the-neo-lib
eral-stealth-campaign-to-control-the-internet-throughout-the-developing-worl
d-and-make/> A4AI: Who Could Oppose a More Affordable Internet? The Alliance
for an Affordable Internet (A4AI) and the Neo-liberal Stealth Campaign to
Control the Internet Throughout the Developing World and Make Big Bucks for
the Private Sector While Doing So

Given the apparent intense interest on this list in the A4AI this blogpost
which looks to identify some of the underlying realities of the Initiative
might be of interest to some.

Barrack O. Otieno
+254721325277
+254733206359