[kictanet] Policy interventions for affordable Internet

WANGARI KABIRU wangarikabiru at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Mar 11 07:22:44 EAT 2016

"... FCC Chairman Tom Wheeler has spoken in the past of the importance of a Lifeline expansion into internet, citing more than 64 million Americans “living on the wrong side of the digital divide,” the majority of them citing cost as the biggest hurdle to access.
At least 5 million Americans with school-aged children do not have internet at home, and as education and schoolwork increasingly move online, children in these families struggle with the so-called “homework gap,” seeing lower grades on assignments and exams due to lack of internet access. The current version of the plan expands the budget to $2.25 billion a year with provisions to adjust for inflation in the future, an increase that would allow subsidies to reach 5 million more consumers, though officials do not expect that many to immediately join the program. The FCC officials noted that only 40 percent of the 40 million eligible households are currently taking advantage of the Lifeline program currently. ...."

Happy Furahi Day!

Wev had the free wifi zones trials and counties such as Nakuru Town. Is the wifi still on? Does your County budget have this allocation - maybe, and what is it being used for?

We who know the knowledge value of and in the internet let it pass quietly - abetting corruption by loud silence.

It is also quite interesting to see that the uptake has been low for the current subsidy project @ 40% - telephony. Even with this, they still move on to add on the internet. While at the same time, this is the pot that is available in the event of disasters, possibly to give a lifeline back to the panicky affected families.Who even cares to factor in communication reconnection of the affected as an emergency relief service here - we centre on the said basic needs of food and shelter during emergency response.

Just as for the Americans, as the Kenyan education goes digital, we expect to keep expanding the education achievement gap between the haves and have nots to access.

Have a blessed day.

Regards/Wangari

---
Pray God Bless. 2013Wangari circa - "Being of the Light, We are Restored Through Faith in Mind, Body and Spirit; We Manifest The Kingdom of God on Earth".