[kictanet] Fw: DRAFT ICT POLICY 2016 LINK-KICTAnet Stakeholder Input

Ahmed Mohamed Maawy ultimateprogramer at gmail.com
Tue Jun 21 08:25:10 EAT 2016

I would like to take this opportunity to applaud the CS and his PSes for
such a comprehensive document. Before the discussion begins, I think the
policies and measures the document has:

   1. Really take into account the direction Innovation needs to go with
   current trends in the technology sector, globally.
   2. Is truly Innovation Centric, and People Centric, not policy centric.
   It places policy where it needs to be: As a driver, not as a dictator. I
   think this document will really drive development in the technology sector.
   3. Truly provides a framework for Capacity Building around various key
   sectors and application areas.
   4. Creates a conducive environment for Ministry of ICT and the general
   public to work together.
   5. Allows for the development of key facilities needed to bridge the
   technology gap we have with the current state of technology in the global
   arena combined with the state of key sectors driving innovation in Kenya.

I think when Mwendwa states that "This draft policy is bold, with sections
on IoT, big data, OTTs, Net neutrality" - I totally agree. Sometimes we
need to deal with these technologies and frameworks shaping the global
arena head on. Additionally, I think adding the element of Privacy to the
equation is also a bigger plus for the citizens in general in regards to
all these technologies.

Let the discussion begin..

On Mon, Jun 20, 2016 at 3:25 PM, Walubengo J via kictanet <

> Dear Listers,
>

> The Ministry of ICT (PS V. Kyalo) has asked KICTAnet to ran a two week
> moderated discussion on the Draft ICT Policy 2016, that will replace the
> current 2006 ICT Policy.
>

> Please download and go through in preparation of the online discussions
> scheduled to kick-off this wednesday 22nd June 2016.
>
> You views will be consolidated and later on you will be invited to
> validated the same at a face-to-face session to be confirmed at a venue and
> date to be confirmed later.
>
> Kazi kwenyu. Do not say you were not consulted :-)
>
> Best rgds.
>
> walu.
>

> ----
> Dear All,
>
> The Draft ICT Policy 2016 has been posted in the MoICT website for
> stakeholders comments.  Please use the link below to access the document.
>

> http://www.information.go.ke/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/Draft-National-ICT-Policy-20June2016.pdf
>
> Kind regards,
> Jane W. Migwi
> Administrative Secretary
> National Communications Secretariat
> P.O. Box 10756-00100, NBI
> Tel: +254-20-2719953 / +254-20-2713429
> Fax: +254-20-2716515
> Cell:  0721 850 561

*Ahmed Maawy*
Executive Director - SwahiliBox / M-Power (CBO)
Curator - Global Shapers Mombasa Hub
Ambassador - Open Knowledge
Director - Startup Grind Mombasa
Software Developer - AJ+ / EveryLayer