[kictanet] M-Pesa Debit Card

Elizabeth Rossiello elizabeth at bitpesa.co
Fri Jul 22 11:29:58 EAT 2016

Hi All

Just to bring some blockchain background into this chat:

Blockchain would not replace the last-mile POS terminals or NFC or
credit-card (yet), but rather help run the infrastructure behind it.

Visa <http://www.coindesk.com/visa-europe-blockchain-no-longer-a-choice/> (also
see here
<https://www.cryptocoinsnews.com/visa-chooses-india-blockchain-development/>)
and Mastercard
<http://uk.businessinsider.com/mastercards-garry-lyons-davos-fintech-mastercardlabs-blockchain-bitcoin-2016-1>
are some of the largest investors in the technology.  So, a card is fine --
but what is the database behind it?  Will the card's database be
centralized in a single country and only work with domestic terminals --
like the Verve Card by Interswitch in Nigeria?  Verve works AWESOME in
Nigeria....but nowhere else.  The Verve network also does not accept
non-Nigerian cards...for any of you who have tried unsuccessfully to swipe
your Kenyan Bank's Visa card at the 5+ POS terminals at any Lagos
restaurant that advertises "Visa accepted here."

There are some really cool Bitcoin cards <https://www.shiftpayments.com/>that
use Visa/Mastercard networks for last-mile acceptance...but you can top-up
these cards very cheaply using any currency in the world.

So - great that Safaricom wants to improve the last-mile experience...but
will they own the FX/Fees/Banking options to top-up balance?  If these
cards work outside of Kenya -- what kind of fees/FX will they have? Who
will manage that global treasury and switching between networks?

xElizabeth

On Fri, Jul 22, 2016 at 11:17 AM, John Gitau via kictanet <

Elizabeth Rossiello
CEO and Co-Founder
*BitPESA*
Nigeria: +234 909 345 4135