[kictanet] National ICT Poilicy: DAY 10 of 10:-Vision, Mission, Objectives.

DigitalTVAfrica wainaina at digitaltvafrica.com
Tue Jul 12 14:48:43 EAT 2016

Hi Walu & team,

My comments are on the Jadili platform.

Overall, we need to ensure we are writing a policy document that goes
beyond "*keeping abreast with current ICT the current ICT technology*." For
the ICT sector, things get obsolete the moment they are accepted as being
"current". So let us go beyond that and plan for "emerging and futuristic"
by facilitating innovation.

As Prof. Waema stated, the drafting of the document seems to have been
rushed. I noticed the section without any comments/annotations titled "*ICT
Professional Bodies*" and which stated:

*The Government will recognize and encourage the formation of national ICT
> professional bodies registered under the laws of Kenya to foster
> professional ethics, standards and human resource development in the
> sector.*

Apart from the comments made elsewhere on the "ICT Practitioners Bill", the
policy should make it clear that this section does not call for a single
'umbrella' body as ICTAK attempted to have enacted but rather the
recognition of the roles of the various professional bodies and
multi-stakeholder forums.

A similar approach applies to *Broadcasting professionals* especially the
ones involved in "technical aspects of broadcasting" who have to deal with
convergence but are always caught up in fixing the crisis created by the
public broadcasting or media owners failing to adopt convergence, not just
in terms of 'converged technology', but also *convergence in their
operations*:

*(n) Encouraging national professional bodies for media practitioners to
> participate in setting standards in broadcasting. Also encourage media
> training institutions to provide structured specialized programmes that
> cater for people with talent for creative writing, film production,
> animation creative and technical aspects of broadcasting*

Lastly, there is no mention of *Freedom of Information* as a concept. Only
"Access to Information" is covered and in reference to making government
websites accessible and sharing government content with private sector for
reuse.

Regards,
Wainaina

Watch African TV live online and learn about Digital Television policy,
regulation and technology in Africa on issues relating to Consumers,
Content and Coverage.

On Tue, Jul 12, 2016 at 12:25 PM, esther nyambura via kictanet <