[kictanet] Fwd: STATEMENT ON THE INFORMATION COMMUNICATION TECHNOLOGY (ICT) PRACTITIONERS BILL 2016 BY ICTA

Michuki Mwangi michuki.mwangi at gmail.com
Fri Jul 8 10:57:34 EAT 2016

[Resending as earlier message was sent accidentally]

Ali, et al,

As we all know, by and large we use ICT products/services that are built on
global technical standards.

The ICT experts and users in Kenya and globally use, implement or create
products and services that are built on these global technical standards.
These technical standards are built on guiding principles, such as
end-to-end interoperability, that ensure continued evolution and
permissionless innovation.

I find it disingenuous, for a non ICT-standards making body, to propose
policy that defines who is a practitioner of a resource, that knows no
boundaries and is designed to empower everyone to be creative and
innovative.

Based on this proposed I have the following questions;

1. Is the law subject to Kenyans only or it includes foreign experts
working locally if yes to both then;

- What implications does this have on expatriates working in Kenya
developing or implementing solutions and don't have the practitioners
license ?

- How does this affect multinational organizations that have setup bases in
Kenya and wish to hire foreign experts to work here as implementers,
developers, etc.

1.1 If it is subject to Kenyans only - what message does this send to other
ICT practitioners globally ?

2. There are many Kenyans ICT practitioners plying their trade outside of
the country.

-  What implications or value will the license have ?

Just my immediate thoughts.

Regards,

Michuki.