[kictanet] UN council: Seriously, nations, stop switching off the damn internet • The Register

Wangari Kabiru wangarikabiru at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Jul 4 09:43:56 EAT 2016

Blessed Monday!

How is it for people to have the same rights online as offline whereas in perspective, "in the online space" we have a lot of "created personas", "anonymous personas" and even robots?

If we put our empathy thinking caps on and make ourselves "government/legislature, what might be the need/concerns.
- Whom would the governments be running after
- How to arrest situations for overall national interests
- How to determine that an online entry/discussion might birth or build situations that may increase " vital information leaks, tensions, unrest etc"
- ?Many morr

I believe just as with other government related inquisitions on policy, it is good to engage directly with the government agencies to know their way of thinking. Here perhaps agencies in the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

You will note that in this case opinion leading nations were for amendments. This may also indicate that there may have been many other nations who were silent for their foreign policy and public image interests yet anyway when the situation arises they would not hesitate to switch off.

May we be open to hear, may the IGF take consideration to have voices from foreign policy with a balance of NSA and Government end.

Blessed day.

Regards/Wangari

"Among the key extracts in the resolutions are:
That people have the same rights online as offline, "in particular freedom of expression, which is applicable regardless of frontiers and through any media of one's choice."
That human rights violations enacted against people due to making their views known online are "condemned unequivocally," and states are held accountable for any such violations.
Any measures to "intentionally prevent or disrupt access" to the internet are also "condemned unequivocally," and all states should "refrain from and cease such measures."...."On Jul 4, 2016 06:39, Alex Watila via kictanet <kictanet at lists.kictanet.or.ke> wrote: