[kictanet] National ICT Policy Discussions: Day 9 of 10: Institutional, Legal & Regulatory Framework

Walubengo J jwalu at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 4 08:58:31 EAT 2016

Listers,
@Barrack had introduced the above theme over the weekend but looks like folks were on a family day off. So agreed to have today to see if we can get views on this matter and then wrap up everthting tomorrow.----Day 9 of 10: Institutional, Legal & Regulatory Framework Role of Regulator, USAC, CERTs, NCS, ICTA, PCK, CSO, Professional Bodies etcNeeded Legislation, Data Protection, eTransaction, Intermediary Liability etc
The Background:Now that we have discussed most of the issues, it is time to look at the governance framework for the same. Traditionally, the key governance actors have been the ICT Parliamentary Committees, the ICT Ministry, the National Communication Secretariate (NCS), the ICT regulator, the ICT Authority, the ICT (Multimedia) Appeals Tribunal,etc.
The market players have been the Operators, Postal Agency, Courier Services, Application Service Providers.
Have these entities worked well for us or do we want to delete, add or restructures some of them?  Is there a need to define and bring in specific roles for Professional bodies, Civil Society and others within the ICT space?
What are the legal & regulatory gaps we find moving forward?
We have 1 Day on this as usual.
walu.