[kictanet] Kenyan Blockchain Start-up BitPesa Featured in Citibank Research

Barrack Otieno otieno.barrack at gmail.com
Fri Jul 1 18:30:16 EAT 2016

Hi Elizabeth,

Many thanks for this timely intervention. Kindly peruse the draft
policy and check whether the digital currencies are well captured on
the Jadili platform:
http://jadili.ictpolicy.org/docs/kenya-ict-policy.

Regards

On 7/1/16, Elizabeth Rossiello via kictanet
<kictanet at lists.kictanet.or.ke> wrote:
> [...]
>> services as well other consumer services such as prepaid power, airtime,
>> insurance all
>> from Inuka mobile wallet.
>>
>> The instant loan mobile wallet is accessible through both USSD and mobile
>> application. The loan can be withdrawn to M -pesa or from an ATM
>> through  Debit/credit cards -  which are integrated with our systems,
>> saving customers more than half the average transaction cost. Through the
>> platform the  SACCO can lend their own money or have iNuka Pap provide
>> the
>> float at an agreed shared interest.
>>
>> Founded by Waweru, George and Rachel I have asked admin to add them to
>> the
>> Listing. We will want to here from them also on the policy and how its
>> affecting their innovation which they are configuring around the block
>> chain technology.
>>
>> Let's appreciate them and refer as many Saccos as possible to subscribe
>> the platform. Here is the you tube link of the Demo Day they had in cape
>> town yesterday....
>>
>> https:// <https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YF9Xp_I0aes>m.youtube.com
>> <https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YF9Xp_I0aes>/watch?v=YF9Xp_I0aes
>> <https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YF9Xp_I0aes>
>>
>> Regards
>>
>> Timothy Oriedo
>> ICF Certified Coach, Chartered Marketer, Technology, Media & Telco
>> Enthusiast
>> FB, Linkedln- Timothy Oriedo
>> Skype, Twitter @timoriedo
>> 0722 816171
>> Thank you Barrack,
>>
>> Though I have to admit I am not sure how I can tamper with such policy
>> documents so professionally crafted :D
>>
>> Mine will be to suggest what I think is also needed to be done and I am
>> sure the Kictanet community with the CS will be able to understand how it
>> fits within the context of the document.
>>
>> Ahmed
>>
>> On Fri, Jul 1, 2016 at 1:55 PM, Ali Hussein via kictanet <
>>
>>> Grace
>>>
>>> On the mark and on point. Maswali nyeti unayouliza.
>>>
>>> *Ali Hussein*
>>> *Principal*
>>> *Hussein & Associates*
>>> +254 0713 601113 / 0770906375
>>>
>>> Twitter: @AliHKassim
>>>
>>> Skype: abu-jomo
>>>
>>> LinkedIn: http://ke.linkedin.com/in/alihkassim
>>>

>>> "Discovery consists in seeing what everyone else has seen and thinking
>>> what no one else has thought".  ~ Albert Szent-Györgyi
>>>
>>> Sent from my iPad
>>>
>>> On 1 Jul 2016, at 10:36 AM, Grace Githaiga via kictanet <
>>> kictanet at lists.kictanet.or.ke> wrote:
>>>
>>> The issue of virtual Money/BlockChains is gaining traction all over the
>>> World. I was in a meeting recently and one question that most people
>>> asked
>>> me when they learnt I was Kenyan was on what were my thoughts around
>>> block
>>> chain technology disrupting our famous mpesa. Unfortunately I had no
>>> for them but it got me thinking. I am glad that someone on this list
> [...]
>>> Samsung that they can not openly compete with Google on this.
>>>
>>> But then there’s something we are not seeing in this whole equation -
>>> the
>>> future of technology and computing.
>>>
>>> Major players are all looking to invest in IoT and Big Data. Because in
>>> world of 6 Billion people in the Information and Knowledge revolution,
>>> IoT
>>> is not something that may happen. It will. Because according to IBM
>>> <https://www-01.ibm.com/software/data/bigdata/what-is-big-data.html> -
>>> Every day, we create 2.5 quintillion bytes of data. And this is why
>>> Samsung
>>> might win big. They are not building for now. They are building for the
>>> next 2 to 5 years to come.
>>>
>>> Kenya faces a magnitude of challenges home made technology can solve.
>>> And
>>> technology does exist for us to create sustainable solutions - and
>>> create
>>> markets for sustainable solutions, as SwahiliBox had demonstrated close
>>> a year back when we had very much earlier predicted the marriage between
>>> Big Data and IoT
>>> <http://swahilibox.co.ke/blog/2015/06/open-data-and-the-iot-bootcamp--mombasa--june-2015>
>>> and we had developed prototypes that were even open sourced
>>> <https://github.com/SwahiliBox/OpenDataIoT> to demonstrate how easy and
>>> sustainable it can be to develop next generation solutions making use of
>>> both Big Data and IoT.
>>>
>>> Bwana Waziri, I think as a market this is one of the major areas we need
>>> to focus on - and that we are seriously neglecting. We can not keep on
>>> innovating on top of ERPs and M-Pesas and that is just it. Silicon
>>> Valley's
>>> innovative potential does not just encompass systems like Adobe
>>> Photoshop,
>>> but also innovations on top of IoT and Big Data
>>> <http://www.crn.com/slide-shows/networking/300079090/the-ten-coolest-iot-startups-of-2015.htm>.
>>> We need to innovate hardware that can be relevant within the African
>>> Context - Hardware that can then hook up with the ERPs and M-Pesas, and
>>> maybe bring to life a whole different export channel to other countries
>>> and
>>> governments looking for sustainable hardware solutions. And Kenya can do
>>> this.
>>>
>>> We need to push more resources into innovating around Big Data, Cloud
>>> and
>>> IoT. As a market we can only achieve maximum innovative potential in
>>> adopting the trends that players like Samsung, Intel, IBM, and the likes
>>> are investing billions of dollars to get right.
>>>

>>> On Fri, Jul 1, 2016 at 5:30 AM, Ali Hussein via kictanet <
>>> kictanet at lists.kictanet.or.ke> wrote:
>>>
>>> Barrack and all
>>>
>>> For the first time Net Neutrality is being given a voice. But not far
>>> enough. We need clear direction on this important issue. Where do we

>>> 2. Fair and equitable treatment of Internet traffic?
>>> 3. Zero rating of services?
> [...]
>>> few
>>> other countries. Mpesa stopped innovating in this space years ago. It's
>>> time for a new reality. Mpesa is yesterday's news. Let's start creating
>>> new narrative. We need a Global Champion. The likes of PayPal, eBay,
>>> Google
>>> etc. and we have it in us to do it.
>>>
>>> Kenya, and Africa are again at risk of being left behind. No other than
>>> the Governor of the Central Bank is on record saying that we shall wait
>>> and
>>> see what the West does before jumping in. I respect the man alot but I
>>> think engagement with the nascent Fintech Space in Nairobi together with
>>> the ICT Ministry is long overdue. We MUST chart our own path - And it
>>> needs
>>> to be a pioneering path not a follower path. We need a clear policy
>>> statement from the ICT Ministry on this.
>>>
>>> I'm reliably informed that the ICT Ministry and the Central Bank has
>>> formed or will form a joint committee to look into the adaption of
>>> BlockChain Technology. I may have missed this but is there a
>>> representative(s) from the private/banking/Fintech space? Sometimes I
>>> get
>>> the feeling that this country's leaders still don't get the spirit of
>>> the
>>> New Constitution we promulgated in 2010. I would like to humbly remind
>>> ourselves of this:-
>>>
>>> The *constitution* was presented to the Attorney General of *Kenya* on 7
>>> April 2010, officially published on 6 May 2010, and was subjected to a
>>> referendum on 4 August 2010. The *new Constitution* was approved by 67%
>>> of *Kenyan* voters. The *constitution* was promulgated on 27 August
>>> 2010.
>>>
>>> In the spirit of Uzalendo and moving this country forward let us share
>>> more and consult more extensively. This exercise of subjecting the new
>>> ICT
>>> Policy to this level of public scrutiny and intellectual discourse on a
>>> list like Kictanet is unprecedented. And highly commendable, This
>>> certainly
>>> shows the willingness and openness of the leadership of CS Mucheru. It's
>>> not a coincidence that he and PS Victor Kyalo are founder members of
>>> Kictanet. Intellectual discourse, sharing and engagement is in their DNA.
>>> must however caution them that they must shine daylight into
>>> *EVERYTHING*
>>> that involves the public good. This new discussion on Blockchains is
>>> good for the public and the nascent FinTech community. We *CANNOT* and
>>> *MUST
>>> NOT *let vested interests prevail in the corridors of power at the
>>> detriment of the country at large.
>>>
>>> It may well be that this country decides that BlockChain Technology will
>>> do more harm than good to us. However, I humbly suggest that decision
>>> should not be left to a few individuals. No matter their station in life
>>> government. A robust platform of discussion and consultation spearheaded
>>> by
>>> the ICT and Treasury Ministries must be held. And this must be kicked
>>> off
>>> as soon as possible because time's a-wastin'.
>>>
>>> My humble two cents..
>>>
>>> *Ali Hussein*
>>> *Principal*
>>> *Hussein & Associates*
>>> +254 0713 601113 / 0770906375
>>>
>>> Twitter: @AliHKassim
>>>
>>> Skype: abu-jomo
>>>
>>> LinkedIn: http://ke.linkedin.com/in/alihkassim
>>>

>>> "Discovery consists in seeing what everyone else has seen and thinking
>>> what no one else has thought".  ~ Albert Szent-Györgyi
>>>
>>> Sent from my iPad
>>>
>>> On 1 Jul 2016, at 1:33 AM, Barrack Otieno via kictanet <
>>> kictanet at lists.kictanet.or.ke> wrote:
>>>
>>> Day 8 of 10:
>>>
>>> * Internet of Things, M2M
>>> * Net Neutrality & OTT
>>> * Big Data
>>> * Virtual Money/BlockChains
>>>
>>> The Background:
>>>
>>> Internet of Things is a vision (now a reality) of physical objects
>>> (machines, vehicles, buildings, etc) fitted with sensors that allow
>>> them to  communicate with each other.  The smart-city concept
>>> envisions sensors continuously reporting status (e.g Traffic status,
>>> Pollution Status, Maintenance Status) of the different objects to
>>> allow for efficient management response. A lot of data exchanges
>>> arises hence the term Big Data with its associated data analytics
>>> requirements.
>>>
>>> Meanwhile, Virtual Money/Currency (Bitcoin, etc) threatens to disrupt
>>> the need for a centralised banking institutions. Over The Top (Skype,
>>> Twitter, FB, Youtube) have been around longer but the need to regulate
>>> or NOT to regulate them continues to be debated.
>>>
>>> Given recent developments on the KiCTANET list on Virtual money  what
>>> should  our position on these and other emerging issues be from a
>>> policy perspective ? is there need to embrace the issues?
>>>
>>> Your comments are welcome
>>>

>>> --
>>> Barrack O. Otieno
>>> +254721325277
>>> +254733206359
>>> Skype: barrack.otieno
>>> PGP ID: 0x2611D86A

>>> sector in support of the national aim of ICT enabled growth and
>>> development.

>>> online that you follow in real life: respect people's times and
>>> bandwidth,
>>> share knowledge, don't flame or abuse or personalize, respect privacy,
>>> do

>>> sector in support of the national aim of ICT enabled growth and
>>> development.

>>> online that you follow in real life: respect people's times and
>>> bandwidth,
>>> share knowledge, don't flame or abuse or personalize, respect privacy,
>>> do
>>>

>>> --
>>> *Ahmed Maawy*
>>> Executive Director - SwahiliBox / M-Power (CBO)
> [...]
>>> globalshapers.org
>>> www.okfn.org <http://okfn.org/>
>>> startupgrind.com
>>> ajplus.net