[kictanet] Draft National ICT Policy Discussions Day 6 of 10: How to Accelerate eGovt Services

Barrack Otieno otieno.barrack at gmail.com
Fri Jul 1 11:05:21 EAT 2016

Many thanks Muchiri, very interesting perspective that would help the
government a great deal deal, i totally agree with you sentiments. I
also welcome you to edit the policy directly on the Jadili platform to
ensure your comments are included in the draft , we can always correct
it during the face to face meeting. You can find the draft here
:http://jadili.ictpolicy.org/docs/kenya-ict-policy.

Karibu

On 7/1/16, Muchiri Nyaggah <muchiri at semacraft.com> wrote:
> [...]
> their national government counterparts (Ministry and iCTA) into a policy
> forum would be create an opportunity to bring the public sector actors
> together to agree on harmonisation of standards, priority areas, timelines
> and to explore financing options. The CECs probably already convene under
> the CoG so there would be no creation of a new body as such. The input from
> the forum would be presented to the Intergovernmental Budget and Economic
> Council via the CoG Committee responsible for ICT and hopefully inform
> resource allocation down the chain.
>

> Muchiri
>
>> On 1 Jul 2016, at 12:55 AM, Barrack Otieno <otieno.barrack at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>> @ Muchiri,
>>
>> Many thanks for your intervention, how do we loop in structures at
>> county government level given the social and economic investment we
>> have made in the county governments through the devolution programme?
>> is there need for harmonization?
>>
>> On 6/29/16, Muchiri Nyaggah via kictanet <kictanet at lists.kictanet.or.ke
>> <mailto:kictanet at lists.kictanet.or.ke>> wrote:
>>> Colleagues,
>>>
>>> I believe eGovernment suffers most when the silo mentality is not
>>> addressed
>>> and when it is itself yet another silo. From the more mundane issues of
>>> lack
>>> of interoperability at the hardware or software level to the
>>> unwillingness
>>> of departments to collaborate across ministries due to perennial turf
>>> wars
>>> and the disconnect between those in technology planning/acquisition and
>>> the
>>> real world.
>>>
>>> For instance, Agriculture, Health, Education, Transport, ICT, Labor and
>>> Finance have to coordinate. Nutrition sits in two ministries (Health and
>>> Agriculture) and is affected by all the others. Agriculture relies on
>>> all
>>> the others for infrastructure, human capital and financing while being
>>> joined at the hip with the non-communicable diseases department of the
>>> Ministry of Health. Policy guidance on government programming and
>>> coordination therefore provides the state with a framework for
>>> implementation of its development agenda and guidance for implementation
>>> and
>>> support of eGovernment. Everything is interconnected/interdependent and
>>> that
>>> acknowledgement should be evident in how eGovernment is implemented as
>>> well
>>> as the sector strategic plans.
>>>
>>> The Kenyan government has made strides towards better coordination,
>>> especially with the program-based budget approach and adherence to the
>>> medium term planning framework but a lot more needs to be done to ensure
>>> systems and personnel are on the same page as the those developing
>>> for coordination and integration. With minimal political interference.

--
Barrack O. Otieno
+254721325277