[kictanet] Netflix KICTAnet ICT Policy Discussions

Ahmed Mohamed Maawy ultimateprogramer at gmail.com
Wed Jan 13 17:43:26 EAT 2016

I think the issue of engagement with key relevant stakeholders in the tech
sector is something that is very commonly mentioned in this discussion
group. Or am I seeing this myself?

On Wed, Jan 13, 2016 at 5:32 PM, Rosemary Koech-Kimwatu via kictanet <

> Hi,
> As a new member to the list has been amazing to read the various points of
> view on this matter.
>
> My take is that i feel that regulators are losing touch with reality by
> failing to engage relevant stakeholders before decisions are made. My first
> concern is do we have research teams in our regulatory bodies who actually
> sit and advice on modern trends before they come up with opinions which
> lead to regulations? If so do they have the right people assisting them to
> get the correct and relevant information? Do they engage in research to see
> how other jurisdictions have handled the issues and maybe question if they
> can make improvements or at least make informed decisions?
>
> As a lawyer there is an intrinsic understanding of the fact that
> regulations must be responsive to the trends of the day otherwise the law
> becomes an ass(the donkey's relative).
>
> There must be a push to ensure that there is a reasonable approach to all
> issues and in my opinion the communication authority is acting like a voice
> of reason. To show the levels of disconnect by the KFCB they even used an
> analogy of radicalization to justify the regulation of Netflix. Someone
> somewhere is clearly not doing their homework.
>
> Yes there is a need to ensure morality but I doubt reacting like a high
> handed pariah state will help. If Netflix begins to partner with local
> providers then regulation will be justified however if they continue as an
> over the top (OTT) service then the regulators have no jurisdiction.
>
> Roemary Koech-Kimwatu
> +254718181644/771632344
> Linkein:Rosemary Koech-Kimwatu
>

> On Wed, Jan 13, 2016 at 3:03 PM, Ali Hussein via kictanet <
>
>> Brian
>>
>> Umesema kama watu kumi. (Spoken like 10 wise men)
>>
>> *Ali Hussein*
>> *Principal*
>> *Hussein & Associates*
>> +254 0713 601113 / 0770906375
>>
>> Twitter: @AliHKassim
>>
>> Skype: abu-jomo
>>
>> LinkedIn: http://ke.linkedin.com/in/alihkassim
>> <http://ke.linkedin.com/in/alihkassim>
>>
>> Blog: www.alyhussein.com
>>
>> "Discovery consists in seeing what everyone else has seen and thinking
>> what no one else has thought".  ~ Albert Szent-Györgyi
>>
>> Sent from my iPad
>>
>> On 13 Jan 2016, at 1:06 PM, Brian Munyao Longwe <blongwe at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I think that one fundamental (and very important) point that most of the
>> people demanding regulation for Netflix overlook is that Netflix has not
>> "come to Kenya". They are not present in the country in any form or shape.
>> They have simply "allowed" Kenyans access to their content - which is
>> hosted outside of Kenya - in response to many years of demand. There is
>> therefore no basis (legal or otherwise) for us to try impose any conditions
>> on them regarding their services.

> [...]

*Ahmed Maawy*
Executive Director - SwahiliBox / M-Power (CBO)
Ambassador - Open Knowledge
Director - Startup Grind Mombasa
Software Developer - AJ+ / EveryLayer
(KE) +254 714 960 627