[kictanet] Introducing Facebook Africa Public Policy Team to KICTANet

Ebele Okobi ebeleokobi at fb.com
Mon Jan 11 19:59:44 EAT 2016

Good morning!
What exactly do you mean when you say community initiatives? And when you say region, do you mean all of Africa, or East Africa, or Kenya?
I’ve previously described the Continent-wide plans related to connectivity (not Free Basics-the ones related to infrastructure connectivity)-is that what you mean?
Or are you talking about things like child online safety, developer engagement, online violence against women, our politics and government trainings, our SMB engagement, the Africa Innovation Challenge—all described/announced on earlier threads-or are referring to something else?
And when you say impact, it’s hard to know what you mean, given that everything we are doing across Africa is brand new or scoped for 2016. We launched our first ever office in an African country in June of 2015, and the head of the office started in September.

Perhaps the best thing for me to ask is-do you have any thoughts/recommendations? Happy to hear about them!

I will say, however, that I strongly believe that the best way that a company contributes to a community is by offering a product that is useful, by being an ethical business that upholds human rights standards, by treating employees fairly, etc. And I think every company can always get better at those things, including Facebook. That said, I do think that Facebook provides an unparalleled platform to connect people to ideas and people they care about, and I also think that the potential Facebook has to support community values like political engagement, transparency, education, health, good governance, and economic empowerment for small business across all of our respective countries is truly revolutionary.

But grateful for specifics, per questions above!
Best, Ebele

Ebele Okobi | Head of Public Policy, Africa
m. +44 (0) 771 156 1315
2 Stephen St | London | W1T 1AN
ebeleokobi at fb.com