[kictanet] Netflix to be regulated by KFCB in Kenya

Toilem Godwin toilemgodwin at gmail.com
Mon Jan 11 12:14:46 EAT 2016

I think this comes as an opportunity for us to welcome Netflix and have the
help us promote local content(which we have been singing for ages now).

For licensing Netflix, I do not know what KFCB is trying to achieve, and
most importantly do they understand how Netflix works in the first place or
is this just a stunt some GOK bodies pull to just show how busy they are.

Waiting to see how this will work out.

On Mon, Jan 11, 2016 at 10:00 AM, Muchiri Nyaggah via kictanet <

> So can we now expect meetings with YouTube, Vimeo etc to be on the cards
> in the coming months?
>
> Meanwhile, I think this might be an opportunity for KFCB and its peers on
> the continent to lobby Netflix to accommodate local content…since they are
> in a boardroom and what not.
>
> Muchiri
>

> On 11 Jan 2016, at 8:23 AM, Ali Hussein via kictanet <
>
> Fortunately for them Netflx has agreed to meet them. I understand they are
> meeting this week. Would be interesting how far both parties are willing to
> go to censor some content deemed undesirable for Kenyans.
>
> *Ali Hussein*
> *Principal*
> *Hussein & Associates*
> +254 0713 601113 / 0770906375
>
> Twitter: @AliHKassim
> Skype: abu-jomo
> <http://ke.linkedin.com/in/alihkassim>
>
> Blog: www.alyhussein.com
>
> "Discovery consists in seeing what everyone else has seen and thinking
> what no one else has thought".  ~ Albert Szent-Györgyi
>
> Sent from my iPad
>
> On 10 Jan 2016, at 4:34 PM, Grace Githaiga via kictanet <
>
> @Gichuki,
> I agree with you on the issue of understanding. I think KFCB needs to get
> a brief on how Netflix works, including exploring what local and
> international regimes exist for the management of online broadcasts.
>
> Rgds
> GG
>
> ------------------------------
> Date: Sat, 9 Jan 2016 14:43:59 +0300
> Subject: Re: [kictanet] Netflix to be regulated by KFCB in Kenya
> From: kictanet at lists.kictanet.or.ke
> CC: chuksjonia at gmail.com
> To: ggithaiga at hotmail.com
>
> I think we have a big problem with Kenya Government and Agencies not
> understanding how cyber works. How can you regulate streaming? Can someone
> please train them or get younger guys who understand cyber to sit in their
> board meetings.
> On 8 Jan 2016 20:32, "Ali Hussein via kictanet" <
>
> :-)
>
> The more things change...
>
> Ali Hussein
> Tel: +254 713 601113
> On Jan 8, 2016 8:20 PM, "Ngigi Waithaka" <ngigi at at.co.ke> wrote:
>
> :-) Thought so too...
>
> And guess, who else has over 18+ free channels that are never regulated?
> Youtube, Vimeo, Hulu.... All these rely on self-regulation i.e Parents etc
>
> And so, Netflix launches its goodies in Kenya this week *Wednesday* and on
> *Monday* coming week, they have a *date* with the regulator...
>
> Quickest ever date with Kenyan bureaucracy.... Just how smooth can you
>
> @Walu,
> Can you add *level* playing field for all content providers into that
> *list*
>
> On Fri, Jan 8, 2016 at 8:06 PM, Ali Hussein <ali at hussein.me.ke> wrote:
>
> :-)

> [...]

Kind Regards,
Toilem Poriot Godwin

*Be not afraid of greatness. Some are born great, some achieve greatness,
and some have greatness thrust upon ‘em — WILLIAM SHAKESPEARE*