[kictanet] Net neutrality 'first world' problem?

Ali Hussein ali at hussein.me.ke
Sat Feb 27 07:38:18 EAT 2016

Liz

Thanks for sharing. Unfortunately I think that notion is too simplistic. Net Neutrality is not only a first world problem. And comparing it with bread and other foods is basically missing the point.

Let's address it from an infrastructure point of view. Firstly the Internet is now so critical that this Balkanization that is happening is discriminatory. The likes of the Internet Giants who dole out a walled garden form of Internet access have zero motive for the good of the African people - they are after eyeballs. Plain and simple.  Eyeballs mean money.

Secondly, the government has a responsibility to make the Internet affordable, and to make access free in marginalized areas and communities. That's why we have the Universal Access Fund.

Thirdly, to say that Net Neutrality is a first world problem is to rubbish all the startups that are struggling to build content in Africa. They surely don't have the muscle of Google or Facebook to dole out 'Free Access'.  And if we allow this to happen they will have a snowball in hell getting their content read.

Our CS is quoted as saying:-

It’s like saying someone has no food, but if someone brings them bread we are not going to allow them to have the bread because they must have a balanced diet,” he said. “I don’t think that works for me.”

I'll compare this statement with access to roads. So if we don't have access to roads we should accept potholed ones? Granted we may not have a choice but to use the potholed ones (as is the case). However it sure doesn't make it right! Someone is dropping the ball and they must be made accountable.

One thing I'll concede is that Net Neutrality as defined by the first world is just not workable here. That's why we must define Net Neutrality from an African perspective.

A National Forum is long overdue.

Ali Hussein
Principal
Hussein & Associates
+254 0713 601113 / 0770906375

Twitter: @AliHKassim
Skype: abu-jomo

"Discovery consists in seeing what everyone else has seen and thinking what no one else has thought".  ~ Albert Szent-Györgyi

Sent from my iPad