[kictanet] Apply for Funding: Expanding Civil Society Space

Ephraim Percy Kenyanito ephraim at accessnow.org
Tue Feb 23 17:01:02 EAT 2016

Sorry for cross-posting, please share with your networks.

Best Regards,

Ephraim Percy Kenyanito
Sub-Saharan Africa Policy Analyst
Access Now | accessnow.org

@ekenyanito
PGP: E6BA8DC1
Fingerprint: B0FA394AF73DEB7AA1FDC7360CFED26DE6BA8DC1

  Apply for Funding: Expanding Civil Society Space

      /CD-UNITED Grant Program to Support Democracy Projects Around the
      World/

The Community of Democracies invites organizations to apply for
financial assistance through its CD-UNITED program, which funds projects
that support and strengthen democracy in countries around the world.

During the 2016 grant cycle, co-financing awards totaling $272,000 will
be given to applicants who propose ways to expand the space for civil
society through projects that enhance the ability of citizens and
nongovernmental organizations to participate more fully in civic life.

“Civil society is an essential part of the democratic community,”
Secretary General Maria Leissner said. “We are committed to providing
moral and financial support to those who are working to reduce the risk
of a democratic recession.”

CD-UNITED, funded with a generous donation from the U.S. Department of
State, will provide up to $80,000 in co-financing for each approved
project proposal that addresses this year’s theme: /Democracy in Action:
Expanding Civil Society Space/. Applicants are responsible for securing
co-funding commitments from other donors before their proposal is
submitted for consideration.

“We welcome concrete, action-oriented initiatives that focus on
protecting civil society, which is one of our top priorities,” Leissner
said. “CD-UNITED has already provided valuable support to local
organizations engaged in educational campaigns and efforts to promote
democracy and protect human rights. We look forward to having an even
bigger impact this year.”

The list of eligible recipients ranges from unregistered organizations
and non-profits to universities and international organizations that are
working to promote human rights, freedoms and the values enshrined in
the Warsaw Declaration.

The proposed activities can take place anywhere in the world.

Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, through 31 December
2016. Due to the high volume of applications, interested organizations
are encouraged to apply as soon as possible, before funds are exhausted.

*Please visit *http://www.community-democracies.org/
<http://community-democracies.us12.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4728f1b04f6d172cc705189ca&id=20d5acc14d&e=1e1585cd3f>* for
the CD-UNITED application form and detailed submission requirements.*

Questions should be addressed to cdunited at community-democracies.org
<mailto:cdunited at community-democracies.org>.