[kictanet] More support for springing startups

James Muritu james.muritu at gmail.com
Tue Feb 2 13:14:35 EAT 2016

Registering a business in Kenya is a nightmare. I have used the new online
platform(ecitizen) and there's nothing good to talk about it. Not only did
I lose money after making several mpesa transactions, the system has no
support process. A dark hole it is!  For fear of losing "broking"
opportunities, my view is that the very people inside Sheria are sabotaging
the system. We have a long way to go as a country.

On Tue, Feb 2, 2016 at 12:59 PM, Rosemary Koech-Kimwatu via kictanet <

> Hi Listers,
>
> There is a deliberate move to ease the registration of businesses through
> the recently set up Business Registration Service Board under the office of
> the AG, lets hope that they will deliver as they are promising. The idea of
> giving tax incentives to tech start up's is awesome however we will see all
> sorts of start ups asking for tax breaks not just tech start ups. Something
> definitely has to change in regards to business registration in order to
> boost the ecosystem.
>
> Regards,
>
> Rosemary Koech-Kimwatu
> Tel +254 718181644/771632344
> Twitter:@Chemu_koech
> Skype:Rosemary Koech-Kimwatu
> Linked In: Rosemary Koech-Kimwatu
>
> On Mon, Feb 1, 2016 at 4:08 PM, Mildred Achoch via kictanet <
>
>> I have been asked by several people why I haven't  yet registered ROFFEKE
>> as a business. One word: taxes. If there was a grace period, then this
>> would encourage so many Kenyans to venture into business. Starting a
>> business is difficult enough without the added worry of taxes in year one
>> of operation. Regarding the business registration process, I think websites
>> like inc.co.ke make this process less hectic.
>>

>> On Monday, February 1, 2016, Ahmed Mohamed Maawy via kictanet <
>>
>>> Listers,
>>>
>>> Allow me to post a question on the group - which is the question I had
>>> in mind to present to CS Joe Mucheru. Mine is a burning question on how to
>>> incentivize the startup eco-system, including:
>>>
>>>    1. How to make the business registration process a bit less hectic.
>>>    2. Tax breaks for some amount of time during which they operate to
>>>    pick up business and traction around this.
>>>
>>> Having managed the eco-system in Mombasa for a while, I think you end up
>>> finding potential kids and other chaps having ideas, but who can not enter
>>> into some contests or can not be eligible to enroll to specific support
>>> frameworks because of their lack of a business registration certificate.
>>> Which is sad, to see such potential go all the way down the drain because
>>> of financial or other constraints.
>>> There is a pipeline issue for potential startups here that needs to be
>>> resolved, but how can we work together around this?
>>>
>>> --
>>> *Ahmed Maawy*
>>> Executive Director - SwahiliBox / M-Power (CBO)
>>> Ambassador - Open Knowledge
>>> Director - Startup Grind Mombasa
>>> Software Developer - AJ+ / EveryLayer
>>> (KE) +254 714 960 627