[kictanet] Gambia Shuts Down the Internet

Michael Murungi michaelmurungi at gmail.com
Mon Dec 5 10:29:00 EAT 2016

Poncelet
Below a study that was shared earlier on this group by Moses Karanja:
Mose Karanja via kictanet <kictanet at lists.kictanet.or.ke>
27 Oct
to michaelmurungi, Mose
How much does it cost a country when its connection to the Internet is shut
down? Turns out it is quite a lot.

As the frequency of Internet shutdowns keep rising globally and in Africa
particularly, several attempts have been made to quantify what this means
economically.

Two key reports by Brookings Institute & Deloitte/Facebook released under
the Global Network Initiative (GNI) have proposed methodologies that
attempt to answer this question.

They both base their calculations on the contributions of the ICT sector to
the Gross Domestic Product and using variables of duration of shutdown,
population affected, and Internet connectivity, model formulas to get a
rough estimate of how much a country loses in the these instances.

Deloitte’s calculations are more nuanced on differentiated levels of
connectivity and estimates that an average high-connectivity country stands
to lose at least 1.9% of its daily GDP for each day all Internet services
are shut down. For an average medium-level connectivity country, the loss
is estimated at 1% of daily GDP, and for an average low-connectivity
country, the loss is estimated at 0.4% of daily GDP.

Beyond the dollars?
Internet shutdowns directly affect people who use its communication
channels and on top of suffering economical losses and inconvenience, there
is the massive impact on basic life experiences. Security, health,
education, participation in the global economy and all these converge as
human rights violations.

These kind of reports are valuable tools for advocacy especially because
governments (the main actors on Internet shutdowns) understand money
language more than human rights. It is just a fact of life.

Brooking’s Report is here: https://www.brookings.
edu/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/intenet-shutdowns-v-3.pdf

and Deloitte/Facebook report is here: http://globalnetworkinitiative.org/
sites/default/files/The-Economic-Impact-of-Disruptions-to-Internet-
Connectivity-Deloitte.pdf

--
Moses.

Kindest regards,
Michael M. Murungi

On 3 December 2016 at 15:20, Poncelet Ileleji via kictanet <