[kictanet] ICT Authority Proposal to act on Quacks proper and within Legal Mandate

Kamotho Njenga kamothonjenga at gmail.com
Fri Dec 2 17:01:45 EAT 2016

Fellow Listers,

The proposal by the ICT Authority to rein on quacks is actually overdue if
ICTA's legal mandate is anything to go by. On the basis of Legal Notice 183
of 2013 and Legal Notice 198 of 2013, the functions of ICTA are as set out
below: I have listed all and boldly highlighted the ones that are most
significant in light of the current conversation.

(a) *set and enforce ICT standards & guidelines for human resource,
infrastructure, processes, systems and technology for the public office and
public service* and;

(b) deploy and manage all ICT staff in the public service;

(c) *facilitate and regulate the design, implementation and use of ICTs in
the public service;*

(d) promote ICT literacy and capacity;

(e) promote e-Government services;

(f) facilitate optimal electronic, electronic form, electronic record and
equipment use in the public service; promote ICT innovation and enterprise;

(h) *establish, develop and maintain secure ICT infrastructure and systems*

(i) *supervise the design, development and implementation of critical ICT
Projects across the public service.*

(j) implement and manage the Kenya National Spatial Data Initiative

As long as the ICT Authority operates within its lawful mandate and adopts
a consultative approach, we owe them some measure of support rather than
castigation.

Kamotho