[kictanet] Gambia Shuts Down the Internet

Grace Mutung'u nmutungu at gmail.com
Fri Dec 2 04:06:44 EAT 2016

Listers,
Internet shutdowns are almost becoming a part of African elections and
reports indicate that Gambia has taken this step ahead of elections
tomorrow. With an added twist- calls also seem to be blocked.

A few months ago we discussed the Ugandan shutdown where we went at length
into the techniques employed, including electricity blackouts. With our own
elections round the corner, a few questions:

Is anyone concerned that Kenya may also have a shutdown come elections?
In the (hopefully hypothetical) case that we had a shutdown, who would
effect it? ISPs? MNOs? Kenya Power?
And who would give the orders? The Government? The Regulator?

Hoping that these are just hypothetical musings.

Grace

--
Grace L.N. Mutung'u
Nairobi Kenya