[kictanet] Taifa Laptop

Ali Hussein ali at hussein.me.ke
Fri Aug 26 08:56:26 EAT 2016

Waithaka

I'm sure he didn't. To my point though is that I'm trying hard :-) to
debunk the myth of Comparative Advantage (The theory of *comparative
advantage* is an economic theory about the work gains from trade for
individuals, firms, or nations that arise from differences in their factor
endowments or technological prowess. In an economic model, an agent has a
comparative advantage over another in producing a particular good if they
can produce that good at a lower relative opportunity
cost or autarky price, i.e. at a lower relative marginal cost prior to
trade. One does not compare the monetary costs of production or even the
resource costs (labor needed per unit of output) of production. Instead,
one must compare the opportunity costs of producing goods across
countries. The closely related *law* or *principle of comparative
advantage* holds
that under free trade, an agent will produce more of and consume less of a
good for which they have a comparative advantage.

This theory needs to be rebooted or patches added to it.

I recommend we all read the HBR article - Pipelines, Platformsand the New
Rules of Strategy.
<https://hbr.org/2016/04/pipelines-platforms-and-the-new-rules-of-strategy>

Excerpts:-

Back in 2007 the five major mobile-phone manufacturers—Nokia, Samsung,
Motorola, Sony Ericsson, and LG—collectively controlled 90% of the
industry’s global profits. That year, Apple’s iPhone burst onto the scene
and began gobbling up market share.

By 2015 the iPhone *singlehandedly* generated 92% of global profits, while
all but one of the former incumbents made no profit at all.

How can we explain the iPhone’s rapid domination of its industry? And how
can we explain its competitors’ free fall? Nokia and the others had classic
strategic advantages that should have protected them: strong product
differentiation, trusted brands, leading operating systems, excellent
logistics, protective regulation, huge R&D budgets, and massive scale. For
the most part, those firms looked stable, profitable, and well entrenched.

Back to this issue of Taifa Laptops. My emphasis is that we now need to
think about building ecosystems. The hardware is a matter of course.
Consider it done! No discussions there! There really isn't any point
competing on a field that is already gamed against us. We need to change
the game to suit us. The notion that we need to follow the same path that
others have to achieve success I'm afraid is the stuff of Dinosaurs - and
we know what happened to them....

Our universities need to work hand in hand with industry and government to
become the epicentre of innovation and progress in Africa generally and
Kenya in particular.

This starts with policy as you have already intimated. With the right
policies, an unfair advantage (Yes, unfair advantage) we can move the
needle much further than behaving in silos. That's what the Japanese and
Koreans did. The only difference is that they did it in a world that wasn't
as connected as we are today. That's both an advantage and disadvantage.
The onus is on us to work on the advantages and mitigate the disadvantages.

But before all the above can happen Kenyan Society must reboot itself for
as long as we The People choose leaders who have no interest but their own
and are bankrupt of ideas and ideals we will continue to think that The
Taifa Laptop as it is currently configured is the best thing that happened
to us since sliced bread.

My two cowrie shells.

*Ali Hussein*

*Principal*

*Hussein & Associates*

Tel: +254 713 601113

Twitter: @AliHKassim

Skype: abu-jomo

<http://ke.linkedin.com/in/alihkassim>

Any information of a personal nature expressed in this email are purely
mine and do not necessarily reflect the official positions of the
organizations that I work with.