[kictanet] CALL FOR APPLICATIONS: Young Scholar Awards 2016]

George Nyabuga gnyabuga at uonbi.ac.ke
Mon Apr 18 16:39:19 EAT 2016

Dear Listers,

Some of you might be interested in the initiative detailed below, if you
have not seen it before.

Best wishes,

George

|  |
| REMINDER: Young Scholar Applications DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS: 22 April
2016 |

| REMINDER: Young Scholar Applications (22 April 2016)

This year’s conference is co-hosted by COSTECH and TCRA in Zanzibar, and
will include sessions on cutting-edge developments on ICT policy and
regulation in the South and discussion of the research-policy interface.

30 Young Scholars from Africa and the Asia-Pacific region will be selected
to participate in a tutorial programme taught by recognised scholars and
practitioners from Africa and Asia, and they will attend the main
conference thereafter.

Tutorials are scheduled to be held on the 6th and 7th of September 2016,
prior to main CPRsouth 2016 conference.

DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS: 22 April 2016

 Following the highly successful joint Afro-Asian CPR conferences in
Mauritius in 2012, and India in 2013, CPRafrica and CPRsouth formally
merged under the banner of CPRsouth in 2014. Since then, we have hosted
conferences in the Cradle of Humankind in South Africa (2014), and at the
Innovation Center for Big Data and Digital Convergence at Yuan Ze
University, Taiwan (2015).

This year’s conference is co-hosted by COSTECH and TCRA in Zanzibar, and
will include sessions on cutting-edge developments on ICT policy and
regulation in the South and discussion of the research-policy interface.

30 Young Scholars from Africa and the Asia-Pacific region will be selected
to participate in a tutorial programme taught by recognised scholars and
practitioners from Africa and Asia, and they will attend the main
conference thereafter.

Tutorials are scheduled to be held on the 6th and 7th of September 2016,
prior to main CPRsouth 2016 conference.

Who will qualify?

Masters/PhD students in Economics, Public policy, Communications and
Journalism

Officers of government/regulatory agencies undertaking ICT policy
research, developing/gathering indicators (monitoring and evaluation)

Staff of private companies in the communication industries working in
regulatory affairs

Officers in NGOs/INGOs working in policy and regulation

Researchers from think tanks, university research centres

 Journalists covering communication public policy and regulation

Seminar

The seminar will cover a number of topics of the two days such as:

•       policy analysis using supply-side or demand-side data;

•       ICT impact analysis;

•       convergence, net neutrality;

•       funding broadband network extension, open access networks,
spectrum;

•       sector and competition regulation;

•       research to policy interventions;

•       Internet governance – privacy, surveillance, human
rights online; and

•       introduction to big data, open data.

(2016 tutorial programme still to be confirmed)

Previous tutorial presentations can be accessed at http://www.cprsouth.org/

Application deadline: 22 April 2016

Application guidelines

Applications should be submitted at www.cprsouth.org by 22 April 2016, and
must contain the following:

1.      one-page curriculum vitae; and

2.      one-page write-up outlining why you wish to become an African
or Asia-Pacific based expert capable of contributing to ICT related policy
and regulatory reform in the region

Applicants’ write-ups and biographies should be in a single word
document, and named:
CPRsouth2016_YoungScholar_ApplicantLastName.

Kindly note: Late applications and applications that do not conform to the
prescribed format above will automatically be disqualified.

Review Criteria

Applications will be reviewed according to the following criteria:

1.      content of application;

2.      evidence of interest in, and commitment to, policy-relevant
research for Africa or the Asia-Pacific region;

3.      quality of writing; and

4.      gender and country representation

The selection committee may contact your supervisor or mentor before
making the final selections.

Candidates selected to participate in the tutorial programme must:

•       provide a one-page research proposal upon acceptance onto
the tutorial programme

•       participate in all tutorial sessions

•       participate in the entire CPRsouth 2016 conference

Funding

Selected young scholars who are passport holders of, and travelling from,
low and middle income countries within the Asia Pacific and Africa (as
classified by the World Bank
http://data.worldbank.org/about/country-classifications/country-and-lending-groups#Low_income)
will be provided with:

•       lowest-cost economy airfare to conference destination
(less USD 150 registration fee);

•       ground transfers between the conference venue and airport;
and

•       twin sharing accommodation on bed and breakfast basis, 5
lunches and 1 dinner for the duration of the conference and tutorials (6
– 10 September 2016). Not all meals are covered.

The registration fee for young scholars to attend the conference and
tutorials is USD150, and airfares will be reimbursed less this
registration fee.  Participants will be required to cover:

•       transport to and from airports in their home countries;

•       visa fees (if any);

•       meals not provided; and

•       any other incidental costs

As the registration fee is so low and should be met personally even if
there is no institutional support for attendance of the course and
conference, please note that only under exceptional circumstances of
extreme financial hardship may the organisers consider a waiver of the
conference registration fee. Such waivers will be considered on a
case-by-case basis and only where a scholar would otherwise be prevented
from attending the YS programme and conference.

Visas

Letters of invitation will be provided for purposes of visa applications
after participant selections have been made. Participants are responsible
for securing their own visas to enter Tanzania, and are strongly advised
to initiate visa approval procedures immediately on receipt of
confirmation of their participation.

Kindly direct all enquiries to Ondine Bello:
admin at researchictafrica.net  or info at CPRsouth.org |

Click here to visit our website
(http://www.researchictafrica.net)

(12 April 2016)

To view this newsletter on our website click on the following link,
View on Website
(http://www.researchictafrica.net/newsletter.php?ni=44)

To unsubscribe from this mailing list click on the following link,
Unsubscribe
(http://www.researchictafrica.net/newsletter.php?p=rlukalo@gmail.com)

--
Dr George Nyabuga
Senior Lecturer
Email: gnyabuga at uonbi.ac.ke, george.nyabuga at gmail.com
www.uonbi.ac.ke

The University of Nairobi is ISO 9001:2008 certified.
Website: http://www.uonbi.ac.ke/
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/uonbi.ac.ke
Twitter: @uonbi  https://twitter.com/uonbi