[kictanet] Critical Infrastructure Protection Bill and Policy for you Review and Comments

Barrack Otieno otieno.barrack at gmail.com
Wed Sep 2 12:17:44 EAT 2015

Hi Kamotho,

Your observations make sense. I have taken some time to glimpse
through the documents as well as skim through the website. I just have
the following humble observation to make:
1. Composition of the task force: (It is on this basis that the
government and the private sector have considered it necessary to come
up with a legislation to guide the implementation and management of
this critical infrastructure.

Given the fact that this Critical Infrastructure affects both the
Public and Private sectors in the delivery of services, the Ministry
of ICT saw the need to form a taskforce with representation from both
sectors.  Ministry of Transport and infrastructure together with
Ministry of Energy are considered the major implementers of key
infrastructure in government and were therefore picked to represent
the public sector.) I stand to be corrected but i have noticed that
the task force is made up of members of the Public ( read Government)
and Private Sector.
Kenya is a global leader in ICT Policy developement and we have always
been praised for being a great example in so far as multi
stakeholderism is concerned. The current ICT pollicy was developed
through the same process that brought together government, private
sector, civil society and academia. From the current committee i am
unable to see representation from academia and civil society which in
my humble opinion are critical cogs in the multi-stakeholder process.
Be that as it may, i could be wrong but in future, let us consider all
stakeholder groupings to avoid unnecessary suspicions and misgivings
that could have been resolved through wider consultative processes.
Finally i hope we can consider building proper conduits that can allow
easy and proper enforcement of the above mentioned bills otherwise as
it stands road contractors and other well meaning citizens might find
themselves on the wrong sides of the law and as we know very few can
afford the 10 million shillings fine and Justice be our shield and
defender will come to naught. From a Security standpoint the bill is
well thought.

Best Regards

Barrack O. Otieno
+254721325277