[kictanet] [isoc_ke] Why is Kenya indifferent to how Africa's internet is managed?

Ali Hussein ali at hussein.me.ke
Sun May 31 08:52:34 EAT 2015

Badru

Thanks for your response. I read Walu's article and I saw it a little bit differently. For me the issue is more meaningful discourse between government and the private sector on the softer issues of policy and engagement on critical ICT Infrastructure. And here I don't necessarily mean the 'dishing' out of board seats, tenders on installation and management of critical infrastructure.

I mean softer but equally important issues to do with Net Neutrality, Multi-Stakeholder engagement etc. These are being ignored. Or people who engage in them labelled 'Activists'.Let me explain:-

1. Internet.org. Is the regulator even interested in the damage this can do to our painstakingly built startup ecosystem? Not to mention the issue of potentially killing local content? We have asked what the country position is on this. We will probably discuss it at the Kenya IGF in July but without meaningful participation by the government side this will be another exercise in futility.

2. Net Neutrality. The telcos in this country are breaking all sorts of rules regarding Net-Neutrality. What is the regulator's response? Nothing. Let me rephrase this. What is our position on this? There has been very vigorous debate in India on this issue. We have the same (Albeit much smaller) ecosystem as them. Why are we not paying hid to this important issue?

I can go on and on..

Badru, I think the point Walu was trying to bring across is this malaise in government and the private sector in our region regarding these critical issues. And there I think he hit the Bulls Eye.

Ali Hussein
Hussein & Associates
+254 770 906375 / 0713 601113

Twitter: @AliHKassim
Skype: abu-jomo
Blog: www.alyhussein.com

"Discovery consists in seeing what everyone else has seen and thinking what no one else has thought".  ~ Albert Szent-Györgyi

Sent from my iPad