[kictanet] [isoc_ke] Why is Kenya indifferent to how Africa's internet is managed?

Badru Ntege badru.ntege at nftconsult.com
Sat May 30 08:44:21 EAT 2015

@ Barrack @Ali

I read Walu’s article with interest but I think he has left out some pertinent details.

Walu has been representing the East African region alongside myself on the Afrinic board.  He first joined the board in 2010 and was re-elected as an alternate board member in 2013.  The same time I was also elected on the board as a primary board member.

When the incident of disconnection happened all board members were given prior notice to inform members not in good standing to fix or make solid commitments.  Unfortunately for Kenya this was not done in time.

In fact Walu played a key role in getting Kenya back online.   And it helped that Kenya was represented an board level.

Board representation is not by country but by Region.  I have been the board member for the region since 2013 and the region has been represented.  I’have business interest in the Telecom space in all East African countries and I have been active in the region for over 8 years.    I believe the whole region is represented.

I would say Kenya has been well represented over that period.   A number of kenyans have also been very active in the Africa internet space for quite a long time.  I remember I was introduced into the Internet space back in the 2002 by kenyans like, Michuki, Mucheru, Lwongwe, Alice to name but a few.   These and many are names that make us in the East African Region proud.

So I think the article is slightly not fare to the many kenyans very active and making the internet what is today.

The issue with government

The internet community have this love hate relationship.  On one side we want them near but on the other we do not want them anywhere near the internet.  Its like come but please just seat in the corner and look pretty.

We are definitely a strong community in the African internet space and as Board member I have made sure that our impact is felt and as they say the struggle continues, we have to build on what our many veterans like the one I named above to build our regional internet in a proactive and co-operative way.

I’m standing for re-election this year and hope to be given the mandate to continue representing the entire region.  If the community feels they are areas key I have and continue to listen thus my being active on various lists.

I hope this helps us clarify.

regards

[cid:D9F8540D-0BFB-4285-92BC-A2FB38FEFF3D]