[kictanet] Fwd: ICANN EMEA Newsletter #4

Bob Omondi omondibob at gmail.com
Thu May 21 12:56:37 EAT 2015

FYI...
---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: ICANN <emea.newsletter at icann.org>
Date: Thu, May 21, 2015 at 11:25 AM
Subject: ICANN EMEA Newsletter #4
To: omondibob at gmail.com

      Click here
<http://us3.campaign-archive2.com/?u=818d573897ed5ea25ee71ebc1&id=20dfd0d948&e=3bc309f57b>
to view this email in your browser

Forward to a friend
<http://us3.forward-to-friend.com/forward?u=818d573897ed5ea25ee71ebc1&id=20dfd0d948&e=3bc309f57b>
| Unsubscribe from this list
<http://icann.us3.list-manage2.com/unsubscribe?u=818d573897ed5ea25ee71ebc1&id=a610960f07&e=3bc309f57b&c=20dfd0d948>

*Jump To:* Event Highlights <#14d7593909687492_highlights> | Further Events
<#14d7593909687492_contentfurther> | Global News <#14d7593909687492_global>
| We Need You <#14d7593909687492_need> | Upcoming Events
<#14d7593909687492_upcoming> | Feedback <#14d7593909687492_feedback>
 Event Highlights Q4 2014
EMEA Hub Highlights

*By David Olive, VP Policy Development, GM Istanbul, Regional HQ Hub*

It’s been another busy period at the EMEA hub in Istanbul, hosting a number
of special ICANN consultations, meeting with Turkish stakeholders and
celebrating the 22nd year of the Internet in Turkey.

ICANN cross community groups  (CWG-Stewardship
<http://icann.us3.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=818d573897ed5ea25ee71ebc1&id=d9eb115bec&e=3bc309f57b>)
(CCWG-Accountability
<http://icann.us3.list-manage.com/track/click?u=818d573897ed5ea25ee71ebc1&id=3f884e1e17&e=3bc309f57b>)
held face-to-face meetings in Istanbul, Turkey towards the end of March. A
reception was held for ICANN Community members and the Turkish stakeholder
community to raise awareness about these important issues.

*Internet Week in Turkey, 6-19 April 2015 *

This was quite the informative week! One of the highlights was the Chairman
of Turkey’s Internet Improvement Board and some of its members paying a
visit to the ICANN offices and presenting to the staff the Board’s work and
strategy on encouraging the use of the Internet across Turkey.

Another key event during this week was the ISOC Turkey conference where key
topics were discussed, such as how globally, the digital economy is soaring
past the offline economy; leading to countries assess how best to ensure
their nation’s policies are capable of supporting the Internet growth in
their countries to fully take advantage of the economic benefits.  Specific
to Turkey, was how Internet users have grown substantially to nearly 40
million subscribers today with mobile Internet users leading the way. This
is particularly noteworthy, when one considers the Turkish Presidency of
the Group of 20 is also focusing on inclusive and robust growth strategies,
and the digital economy can play an important role to support job creation
and trade.

Finally, Internet Week in Turkey reminded us that the Internet has
prospered tremendously due to the multistakeholder model, were diverse
stakeholder groups, such as governments, businesses, academics, private
users and others can convene to determine what the future of the Internet
will look like.   For it is only by working together, that we can ensure
the Internet will continue to grow and provide tangible, positive effects
for users in Turkey and those around the world.

*WSIS Project Prizes 2015 Nomination*

Happy to announce two ICANN projects, the *DNS Entrepreneurship
Centre* and *Investigating
DNS Abuse/Misuse for Public Safety Community* were nominated for the Online
Voting Phase of the WSIS Project Prizes 2015 contest.

Information on the nominated projects can be found here
<http://icann.us3.list-manage.com/track/click?u=818d573897ed5ea25ee71ebc1&id=0d394c2c41&e=3bc309f57b>
.
 Europe

IANA Information Sessions

In late January on the back of the transition CWG Stewardship meeting in
Frankfurt, we held information sessions in Brussels with business
associations, American Chamber of Commerce to the European Union (AmCham
EU), Digital Europe and CCIA, as well as with the Permanent Representatives
of Governments to the EU.

During the same period, with the participation of stakeholders involved in
the transition, we also organised an in-person workshop in Brussels coupled
with a webinar aimed at the civil society community.

After the ICANN Meeting in Singapore, we continued with a series of
outreach events. Although some of them were around the transition of IANA
functions, such as our joint session with AFNIC in Paris on 12 March, we
also intervened on general Internet Governance and ICANN aspects, with for
instance a keynote talk by Jean-Jacques Sahel at Dublin’s Institute of
International and European Affairs on 24 February (an early occasion to
promote ICANN54 to the local community!) and a panel at the annual Brussels
Forum of the International Institute of Communications, together with the
likes of ISOC and the European Commission.

We were also involved as co-organizers and speakers in a number of events
covering more technical or economic matters, from a meeting on the DNS
organized with the local community and Parliament in Bucharest to gTLD
discussions in Portugal and Spain.

BCG Updated Report launch in Barcelona

On the 3rd March, ICANN and Boston Consulting Group launched
<http://icann.us3.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=818d573897ed5ea25ee71ebc1&id=8b29892ee8&e=3bc309f57b>
the updated Report *“Which Wheels to Grease? Reducing Friction in the
Internet Economy” *at a Breakfast event on the fringes of the Mobile World
Congress in Barcelona, with attendees from the government, businesses and
Internet Community.
The update furthers the objectives of the report commissioned by ICANN last
year
<http://icann.us3.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=818d573897ed5ea25ee71ebc1&id=fce54cdc1f&e=3bc309f57b>
by looking at major causes of e-friction and how countries can learn from
those that face similar challenges but have managed to move up the
e-friction ladder by addressing the most significant impediments. The BCG
Report helps to emphasize the opportunities for advancement that come from
making the most of the ever expanding, globally interoperable Internet,
which is good for individuals, business and national economies. As part of
the our EMEA strategy, we work on holding roundtable discussions in
individual countries of the EMEA, to enable dialogue between the various
stakeholders to discuss the issues highlighted in the report.

Serbian Internet Domain Days – (DIDS)

*Left to Right:** Martin Boyle, Jean-Jacques Sahel, Leonod Todrov in the
‘Masters of the Internet’ panel*

One of the most impressive events we have been involved with in this
quarter was the Serbian Domain Days (DIDS). Now in its fifth year, DIDS is
run by the Serbian ccTLD registry RNIDS for two days, covering a huge range
of topics, from an overview of Internet Governance and the IANA functions
transition, to IDNs and the growth of the local e-commerce sector, and many
more.

RNIDS received over 500 requests for attendance, and so the room was packed
on the day, and over 3000 people online watched our live stream!

The enthusiasm of the audience was palpable –a testimony both to RNIDS’
excellent organization, and to this region’s dynamism and taste for the
Internet. We will be witnessing more of this heartening passion for our
Internet early June in Sofia at *EuroDIG*
<http://icann.us3.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=818d573897ed5ea25ee71ebc1&id=17d0aaf4f9&e=3bc309f57b>
and the first *South Eastern Europe [SEE]* Roundtable on Internet
Governance, one of the first major initiations by the new *‘ICANN SEE’. *The
group was created over the summer of 2014, and continues to grow almost
daily bringing together various players in the Internet community from
across the SEE region.

You will read more below about DIDS in a guest blog by one of ICANN-SEE’s
most active members, and chair of RNDIS, Dusan Stojicevic.

*By Jean-Jacques Sahel, VP Europe*

Guest Blog
*Positive Outcomes from the SEE region*
*by Dušan Stojičević @DusanStojicevic. RNIDS - @rnids*

*Belgrade, Serbia*
*Days of Internet Domains in Serbia (DIDS 2015)*
Held in the Serbian capital Belgrade on March 10.-11, was an event
supported by ICANN
<http://icann.us3.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=818d573897ed5ea25ee71ebc1&id=ca63e0c90d&e=3bc309f57b>,
as well as a EuroDIG
<http://icann.us3.list-manage.com/track/click?u=818d573897ed5ea25ee71ebc1&id=c7db78e291&e=3bc309f57b>
kick off event.

Was it a successful event in Belgrade?

With around 300 participants, and more remotely, I leave you to be the
judge: {videos from all three sessions from the first day}

   - http://www.livetv.rs/Video/12417/Prvi-blok-konferencije-DIDS-2015.shtml
   -
   http://www.livetv.rs/Video/12417/Drugi-blok-konferencije-DIDS-2015.shtml
   -
   http://www.livetv.rs/Video/12419/Treci-blok-konferencije-DIDS-2015.shtml

*Regional Internet Forum (RIF)*
Held on 11th March, and as part of the DIDS conference,  the RIF was *a
resounding success, *with three round tables covering regional activities
in the Internet arena, IDNs, and the application of the Multistakeholder
model in the administration of Internet organisations in the region. Leonid
Todorov was the special guest talking about the RIGF experience (
http://rigf.ru/en/) with similar topics on the agenda as RIF. The three
workshops organized had around 30 participants; 7 countries from the SEE
region - Montenegro, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Croatia, Slovenia, Bulgaria,
Romania, Serbia and participation from the EuroDIG and ICANN.

>From the first day, the discussion on IDNs was the hot topic of interest.
The overall experience was very interesting – no major issues,  yet the
majority think that this is a hot topic. So, the real question from this
round table was - why is that? Is it culture or something else?

The multistakeholder process provided a heated discussion for the end of
the day, with queries on the practicality of implementation to
representativeness, accountability and how to safeguard the use of the
multistakeholder model.

*Bucharest, Romania*
Held on the 13th March 2015, the *Workshop on domain names and the
Internet. What does the future behold?* Was quite interesting.
Organized in two sessions, first one was covering New gTLD world, and
second was about MS model. First session covered topics like IDN,
successful business cases... But second was a killer: it was open dialogue
on Romanian problems when it comes to organization model and policies in
Romanian ccTLD registry. It felt like things are finally being discussed
out in the open.

>From my point of view, this was a fruitful event, with good discussions and
plenty raised domestic questions. It was very concrete, and you can find
here the agenda of this event:
http://www.apti.ro/workshop-nume-de-domenii-si-Internet
I would like to say that it was my pleasure to be in Bucharest and to be
one of the panelists on this very useful workshop.

International Communications Data and Digital Forensics (ICDDF) March 17-21

ICANN’s Dave Piscitello and John Crain participated in the International
Communications Data and Digital Forensics (ICDDF)
<http://icann.us3.list-manage2.com/track/click?u=818d573897ed5ea25ee71ebc1&id=21ac591b50&e=3bc309f57b>
in London (16-20 March 2015), an annual event attended by ~3000 UK Home
Office, police, secret services, IT and ICT suppliers. Both provided four
days of capability training programs on investigating DNS abuse, Dave gave
an invited talk on DNS and Identifier Systems Security, Stability and
Resiliency, and both John and Dave attended side meetings with UK ministry
and services to discuss opportunities for future engagement and capability
building.

 *“Very animated crew. These folks are among the most appreciative students
I’ve had the pleasure of training.”  - Dave Piscitello*

A European week in the life of the ICANN CEO spreading the awareness: 13-17
April 15

*By Jean-Jacques Sahel, VP Europe *

Fadi left LAX to reach Rome on the evening of April 13th. He woke up to
interviews with *Wired* and others, before heading off to meet with Mr
Giacomelli, Italian Minister in charge of digital affairs. Together they
opened a special event hosted at the Italian Parliament on Internet
Governance and the IANA stewardship transition.

Immediately after, Fadi was off to Paris. After a short night’s sleep, he
started again with some strong coffee, more interviews, and some
stakeholder meetings. All this before giving a keynote lecture at IFRI, the
French Institute of International Affairs, to discuss in particular the
multi-stakeholder model of governance – and how it could possibly be a
useful concept to implement in other spheres of international relations,
beyond the Internet.

Then we dashed off on the Paris Metro to catch the last fast train to the
Netherlands for the annual Global Conference on Cyber Space in the Hague.
The kick off panel for the conference had Fadi share the stage with Vint
Cerf, Nnenna Nwakanma of WWW Foundation, the Dutch Prime Minister and
Minister of Foreign Affairs, amongst others. Over 1000 people from across
continents and governments, business, the technical community, academia and
civil society discussed the ‘cyber’ issues of the day, including Internet
Governance and its evolution. After another panel and a dozen or more
bilateral meetings with stakeholders, it was off to the airport again for
Fadi.

Another normal ‘week in the office’ for ICANN’s CEO.
 Middle East

Two years later: The Domain Industry in the Middle East
*https://www.icann.org/news/blog/two-years-later-the-domain-industry-in-the-middle-east*
<http://icann.us3.list-manage2.com/track/click?u=818d573897ed5ea25ee71ebc1&id=ffe73f0c0b&e=3bc309f57b>
*Left to Right: Baher Esmat, Giovanni Sepia, Fadi Chehade, Marc Van
Wesemael, Pierre Dandjinou, Tarek Kamel*

ICANN Signs MOU with EURid to Develop Local Expertise in the Domain Names
System (DNS) Sector in Africa and the Middle East. MOU Signed During
the ICANN 52 Meeting.* Announcement can be read **here
<http://icann.us3.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=818d573897ed5ea25ee71ebc1&id=77d748e67d&e=3bc309f57b>.*

The Second Middle East DNS Forum, 9-10 March, Amman, Jordan

The two-day event covered topics on ccTLDs, new gTLDs, IDNs, the Domain
Name Industry in underserved regions, as well as provided a brief and
update on the IANA Stewardship Transition. More on the details of the event
http://amman2015.mednsf.org/en/
<http://icann.us3.list-manage2.com/track/click?u=818d573897ed5ea25ee71ebc1&id=5fa1a9bf78&e=3bc309f57b>

ICANN in Pakistan

  Our outreach efforts this year began in Islamabad, Pakistan where we
joined APNIC and ISOC and participated in a workshop organized by the
Ministry of Information Technology and Telecommunication on Internet
Governance and roles of stakeholders. This was our first trip and we
conducted a successful initial series of meetings and roundtables with
government officials, industry leaders, academic and technical community.
*By* *Baher Esmat, VP Middle East*

DNS Entrepreneurship Center Workshops Kick Off

The DNS Entrepreneurship Center launched its activities on March 29th with
two successful workshops on DNS Business Development and Registry Best
Practices. The two workshops were held in Cairo, Egypt, in partnership with
the National Telecommunication Regulatory Authority, the Information
Technology Institute, EnCirca and EURid. The two workshops were designed to
help participants better understand the fundamentals of how to run
registries and registrars, as well as the potential business opportunities
in this industry.
 Africa

Successful Africa Sessions #ICANN 52

First and foremost, we would like to start by congratulating you all,
colleagues and community, for a very successful meeting in Singapore. It
was your strong support and resilience that enabled us put up two very
successful sessions during ICANN 52, a meeting that had over 300 meetings
scheduled! The attendance and level of participation witnessed was very
impressive. Indeed, day one was a full house (Fig 1) and we still managed
to attract over 35 participants on day two during the “*The Road to
Marrakesh*
<http://icann.us3.list-manage.com/track/click?u=818d573897ed5ea25ee71ebc1&id=cef2351264&e=3bc309f57b>”
Session. Whether you joined us in-situ or remotely, please receive our
sincere appreciation.

Engagement Mission in Rabat, Morocco

Fadi Chehade and Pierre Dandjanou visited Rabat in early March, as part of
the ongoing engagement enhancement in Africa aimed at strengthening African
engagement in preparation for the Marrakech meeting, ICANN 55, next year.
Fadi was invited to speak to students of the Moroccan Academy of Diplomatic
Studies on "the future of Internet governance in the world"; as well as to
the National Institute of Post and Telecommunications on "ICANN and the
Internet Governance".

Outreach Dakar, Senegal

On March 5th, Pierre Dandjinou, VP Africa, gave a public conference, with
over 50 participants, on the transition of the IANA functions in Dakar,
Senegal. Mouhamet Diop, a former ICANN Board member and Fatimata Sylla
Seye, former chair of AFRALO and currently a member of the NomCom, chaired
the conference. Mamadou Lo, one of our Senegalese ICANN fellows took care
of communication and overall organization. The conference was a success
with two main outcomes; the formation of a steering group to organize a
national forum on the transition of the IANA functions and ICANN's
accountability and Senegal’s commitment to increase outreach amongst local
stakeholders on the issue and hopefully contribute to the ICG Proposal on
the transition before June 2015.

DNSSEC Roadshow events in Cote d’Ivoire and Congo

Three days workshops were organized respectively in Abidjan (Cote d’Ivoire
from February 24-26, 2015) and Brazzaville (Congo from March 11-13, 2015).
Our lead consultant, Alain Aina, conducted both workshops with the
following format:

   - Day 1:  General awareness on DNSSEC
   - Day 2:  Technical workshop with hands- on sessions
   - Day 3:  Working session and assessment with the ccTLD

Pierre gave a remote update on IANA Stewardship transition and ICANN
accountability process.  More information on the Roadshow events at
www.dnssec-africa.org
<http://icann.us3.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=818d573897ed5ea25ee71ebc1&id=f3938dd250&e=3bc309f57b>

APRIL: AFRICA’s Month on the IANA Stewardship Transition & Enhancing ICANN
Accountability

*By Pierre Dandjinou, VP Africa*

It has been one year since the National Telecommunications & Information
Administration’s (NTIA) announcement
<http://icann.us3.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=818d573897ed5ea25ee71ebc1&id=e064fd97cf&e=3bc309f57b>
that tasked ICANN to convene an inclusive and global discussion to
determine a process for transitioning the stewardship of IANA functions to
the global multistakeholder community. Indeed since then, the global
community has worked tirelessly and with great resilience and determination
to ensure a successful and sustainable transition. As a neutral convener of
the dialogue, ICANN has an important responsibility of raising awareness
about the processes as they evolve and to support the community's
engagement, working hard to ensure the Internet’s diverse stakeholders have
a voice shaping the new oversight structure.

That said there is concern in the low level of meaningful participation
witnessed so far from Africa. In 2014, ICANN participated in 11 events and
five webinars/ teleconferences to raise awareness on this issue in Africa.
>From the response we have garnered so far, we find that a lot of groundwork
still needs to be done to further stimulate the African community to
participate more effectively in the process.

It is based on this background and analysis that the ICANN Africa team
resolved to launch an *IANA Stewardship Transition & Enhancing ICANN
Accountability* revival month in April 2015.  To achieve this, we are
aiming to organize 1-2 hour webinars and teleconferences or face-to-face
meetings in various countries in Africa at different times and dates led by
local community leaders and stakeholders in the Internet ecosystem at the
National level. ICANN staff will be available to support and reinforce the
meetings either by contributing on presentations or online meeting
resources as appropriate.  We look forward to your involvement and working
together in this crucial junction.

Interested in the IANA Stewardship Transition?
LEARN MORE
<http://icann.us3.list-manage.com/track/click?u=818d573897ed5ea25ee71ebc1&id=4297ff776d&e=3bc309f57b>
. STAY UPDATED
<http://icann.us3.list-manage.com/track/click?u=818d573897ed5ea25ee71ebc1&id=ad5a295933&e=3bc309f57b>
. FOLLOW
<http://icann.us3.list-manage.com/track/click?u=818d573897ed5ea25ee71ebc1&id=55545a827e&e=3bc309f57b>
. ENGAGE
<http://icann.us3.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=818d573897ed5ea25ee71ebc1&id=aaabf132f8&e=3bc309f57b>
.
 Eastern Europe, Russia And Central Asia

*Update by Michael Yakushev, VP *

Two main events on the Internet Governance were held in the Eastern
Europe/Central Asian region at the beginning of this year, with the
participation and support of ICANN and its experts.

Kiev, Ukraine -Round Table on ‘Reforming ICANN and changing Internet
Governance ecosystem: what it means for Ukraine’ - January 28th

The event was organized by the local TLD community and government agency on
Innovation and E-government. Among 60+ participants present were heads of
the government agencies on E-government, Special Communications and
Information, and on Intellectual Property. The Ukrainian GAC member
Alexander Tsaruk moderated the Round table. Participants discussed the
hottest topics of the global Internet Governance, including IANA
stewardship transition, NETmundial Initiative, WSIS process, global IGFs
and the role if ICANN, as well as the role of the local stakeholders in
each of the developing processes. Big interest was also expressed on
ICANN’s interaction with UN agencies, ITU and WIPO, and to the UDRP
experience that can be used for Ukrainian domains. Overall the Roundtable
discussions confirmed the adherence of all Ukrainian participants to the
multi-stakeholders model, and their interest to the EU/CoE position on the
Internet Governance.

Moscow, Russia -Workshop on ‘Internet Governance in Year 2015’ - March 18th

The organizers of the Workshop (the Diplomatic Academy of the Ministry of
Foreign Affairs, and the Center for Political Studies in Russia) invited
40+ experts from different federal institutions, think tanks, Internet
business community, academia and mass media. The discussion was very open
and frank, and allowed stakeholders to present their position on the
current issues on Internet governance. The government bodies (Foreign
Ministry and ICT Ministry) stressed the importance of BRICS and Shanghai
Cooperation Organization, as well as WSIS process, for discussing Internet
Governance matters. The IANA Stewardship transition was cited as one of the
most important projects that should be successfully implemented by the end
of this year. All participants confirmed that the accountability and
transparency of ICANN is of great importance for the success of the
Transition process. Moreover, some experts confirmed, to understanding and
acknowledging the fact that though ICANN is a technical and not a political
organization, it has become a real opinion-leader on many items on the
agenda of Internet Governance.

Moscow, Russia -Russian Internet Governance Forum– April 7th

The 6th Russian IGF was held in Moscow, organized by the Coordination
Center of .RU (ICANN supported this event as a Silver Partner). The Forum
attracted 300+ registered participants, both from Russia and former Soviet
states, as well as from .VN, .CN, .RS, BRICS countries gTLDs. There was
also a visible presence of ISOC headed by Raul Echeberria and Jari Arkko
(IETF).

The RIGF this year was an opportune meeting point where the main topics of
discussion focused on the Internet of Things, Cyber security and Cyrillic
IDNs (see agenda http://rigf.ru/en/prog/?p=prog
<http://icann.us3.list-manage.com/track/click?u=818d573897ed5ea25ee71ebc1&id=195a71ed79&e=3bc309f57b>).
Some interesting side sessions organized by ISOC also took place, focusing
on the recent Russian initiatives on localization of data with experts
expressing deep concerns on this topic, and a follow-up working meeting of
the Moscow-based telecom experts on Net Neutrality. Michael Yakushev made a
short presentation on the current issues of the Internet Governance at the
Opening Plenary, and participated in a panel discussion on interaction
between governmental and business stakeholders.
   Further events ICANN was involved in
  *Dates* *Events* *Location*  March 13 Domain Name System Workshop in
association with Romanian parliament and local community Romania
March 19 Domain
Name System workshop Portugal  March 17-19 ArabNet 2015 Beirut, Lebanon  March
24 – 25 Commonwealth E-Governance Forum 2015 Kigali Rwanda  March 30 –
April 2 Connected East Africa conference Mombasa Kenya  April 14 IANA and
Accountability Event Italian Parliament, Rome, Italy  April 14-16 'A
Regional Consultation Meeting on "WSIS+10 and Beyond: Outcomes and
Perspectives for Africa" Addis Ababa, Ethiopia  April 15 Institute Francais
des Relations Internationales – Debate “Internet: Governance in Motion” Paris,
France  April 17 Global Internet Platform -Global Conference on
Cyber-Space. Hague,
Netherlands  April 18-22 Moscow State University Conference on Information
Security Garmisch Partenkirchen, Germany  April 22-24 Russian Internet
Forum Moscow,
Russia  April 23-25 Domaining Europe Valencia, Spain  April 25-26 Lennart
Meri Conference Talliin Estonia  April 20-30 Moldovan ICT Summit Chisinau,
Moldova
  Global News
 IANA Stewardship Transition Discussions

*IANA Stewardship Transition Discussions:*

   - Blog:
   https://www.icann.org/news/blog/volume-5-an-update-on-iana-stewardship-discussions-special-edition-on-the-icann-accountability-enhancements-draft
   <http://icann.us3.list-manage2.com/track/click?u=818d573897ed5ea25ee71ebc1&id=38b43411f3&e=3bc309f57b>
   - Live page:
   https://www.icann.org/resources/pages/iana-stewardship-discussion-2015-03-31-en
   <http://icann.us3.list-manage.com/track/click?u=818d573897ed5ea25ee71ebc1&id=e5d1a84497&e=3bc309f57b>

Interested in the IANA Stewardship Transition?
LEARN MORE
<http://icann.us3.list-manage.com/track/click?u=818d573897ed5ea25ee71ebc1&id=5b676ac7b2&e=3bc309f57b>
. STAY UPDATED
<http://icann.us3.list-manage.com/track/click?u=818d573897ed5ea25ee71ebc1&id=418a5f3fa9&e=3bc309f57b>
. FOLLOW
<http://icann.us3.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=818d573897ed5ea25ee71ebc1&id=e1a201d353&e=3bc309f57b>
. ENGAGE
<http://icann.us3.list-manage2.com/track/click?u=818d573897ed5ea25ee71ebc1&id=a1aabf9ca4&e=3bc309f57b>
.

 ICANN Globalization - Building Confidence in ICANN's Operations

You have heard us reiterate our commitment to our global, diverse and
ever-expanding community. Our President and CEO Fadi Chehadé previewed our
globalization plans at the ICANN 50 London meeting in June last year.

The objective of globalizing ICANN is to allow for broader, more inclusive
participation and engagement by our community. Last month, we took a step
forward with several operational improvements to the way we provide
additional global services. These include: (1) additional global customer
service capabilities, (2) new venues for arbitration in L-Root Hosting
Agreements, and (3) options for payments in additional currencies.

Read Susanna's blog (
https://www.icann.org/news/blog/building-confidence-in-icann-s-operations
<http://icann.us3.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=818d573897ed5ea25ee71ebc1&id=f99a1f6222&e=3bc309f57b>)
for more details on these improvements and look out for more to come on
this topic.
 ICANN Demonstrates High Standards in its Execution of the IANA Functions

ICANN successfully completed two independent Service Organization Control
(SOC) audits of the systems and processes it uses to execute the IANA
functions for 2014. SOC audits, using a methodology developed jointly by
the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants and the Canadian
Institute of Chartered Accountants, help ensure that ICANN has the
appropriate internal controls in place to meet availability, processing
integrity and security service levels for the IANA functions. 2014 marked
the fifth consecutive year that ICANN received SOC 3 certification of its
DNSSEC Root Key Signing Key systems. It also successfully completed the SOC
2 report, which evaluates key systems used to support IANA transaction
processing functions. International accounting firm PricewaterhouseCoopers
conducted the SOC audits.

ICANN is dedicated to advancing operational excellence and audits are just
one way it is demonstrating its commitment to high standards. Read more
about achievements related to ICANN’s execution of the IANA functions:
http://goo.gl/JEftIK
<http://icann.us3.list-manage.com/track/click?u=818d573897ed5ea25ee71ebc1&id=14b23095cc&e=3bc309f57b>
   We Need You
ICANN Community to Lead Universal Acceptance Initiative

Some applications and services that we use everyday may not fully
understand domain names in non-ASCII scripts, such as Chinese, Korean or
Neo-Brahmi, or new top-level domains, like .taobao, .世界 or संगठन. This is
problematic because the Internet is a global resource, as well as a
cultural and economic driver.

Universal Acceptance is the vision for how the Internet of the future
should function. It means that top-level domains, internationalized domain
names and internationalized emails work seamlessly in all applications and
services.

During ICANN 52 in Singapore, members of the community representing various
constituencies rallied around the Universal Acceptance Initiative and
formed a Universal Acceptance Steering Group to guide the identification of
top line issues and development of outreach strategies, as well as propose
solutions to improve the situation. Read more
<http://icann.us3.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=818d573897ed5ea25ee71ebc1&id=d2859a550c&e=3bc309f57b>
and get involved.
 Public Comment Opportunities

Public Comment is an opportunity for all stakeholders to provide input and
feedback on all facets of ICANN’s work. Find and participate in Open
community discussions, review past work and browse upcoming topics.

For participating, please go to: https://www.icann.org/public-comments
<http://icann.us3.list-manage.com/track/click?u=818d573897ed5ea25ee71ebc1&id=f13962d9e9&e=3bc309f57b>
   Highlight Key Upcoming Events – May - July
  *Dates* *Events* *Location*  May 6-8 DNSSEC Roadshow Antananarivo,
Madagascar  May 24 – June 5 Africa Internet Summit 2015 Tunis Tunisia June
4-5 EuroDig 2015 Sofia, Bulgaria June 16 “Internet Governance & its
regional dimension”, lecture at IBEI Summer School on Development new
technologies and creative innovation Barcelona, Spain July 3 Cyber 2015,
Chatham House London, UK  July 6-8 Africa DNS Forum 2015 Nairobi, Kenya

You can find all upcoming EMEA events near you here
<http://icann.us3.list-manage.com/track/click?u=818d573897ed5ea25ee71ebc1&id=b1a5f958fc&e=3bc309f57b>
.
   Feedback

We would love to hear your feedback, queries, thoughts and ideas.

emea.newsletter at icann.org

*One world. One Internet*

*Follow us and our teams:*
*@icann @icann_ar @pdandjinou @pointjjs @baheresmat @l_madi *
    ICANN EMEA Offices

*Istanbul Hub Office*
*Tel: +90 212 999 6222 <%2B90%20212%20999%206222>*

*Brussels Engagement Office*
*Tel: +32 2 894 7400 <%2B32%202%20894%207400>*

*Geneva Engagement Office*
*Tel: +41 22 819 1844 <%2B41%2022%20819%201844>*

Forward to a friend
<http://us3.forward-to-friend.com/forward?u=818d573897ed5ea25ee71ebc1&id=20dfd0d948&e=3bc309f57b>

Unsubscribe from this list
<http://icann.us3.list-manage2.com/unsubscribe?u=818d573897ed5ea25ee71ebc1&id=a610960f07&e=3bc309f57b&c=20dfd0d948>