[kictanet] Safaricom halves its internet bundles pricing

Mwendwa Kivuva Kivuva at transworldafrica.com
Thu Mar 5 14:27:31 EAT 2015

The price drops are wlecomed. We have always advocated for affordable real
broadband in Kenya. Remember Safaricom controls over 70% of mobile data.

But they should stop those archaic practices of "expiring" data.

On other news ...
http://www.businessdailyafrica.com/Corporate-News/Safaricom-granted-go-ahead-to-import-digital-set-top-boxes/-/539550/2642904/-/kgaiig/-/index.html

Telecoms operator Safaricom
<http://www.businessdailyafrica.com/stocks/-/1322440/1394278/-/shkse6/-/index.html>
has applied for a digital broadcasting licence as it aims to take advantage
of the convergence coming with digital TV migration to deepen its presence
in the wireless Internet market.

The move comes a little more than a year after the firm revealed an
interest in entering the TV-on-demand market
<http://www.businessdailyafrica.com/Corporate-News/Safaricom-set-to-enter-pay-TV-market/-/539550/2073726/-/150j6u9z/-/index.html>
.

Francis Wangusi, the director general of the Communications Authority of
Kenya (CA), said Safaricom applied for the licence two weeks ago complete
with approval for a set-top box -- the gadget that converts analogue signals
to digital.

"Safaricom is the latest firm that has sought type approval for a set-top
box. They have also applied for a digital broadcasting licence but we have
yet to approve that," Mr Wangusi said, adding that the regulator was still
considering the possible impact of television signals on the quality of
telecoms services.

Bob Collymore, the Safaricom chief executive said they are mainly
interested in using the set-top boxes to deliver Internet to households
that own a TV set. He has in the past spoken of selling Internet and TV as
a package.

If awarded a licence, he said, Safaricom would deepen its plan to establish
a presence in the emerging broadcasting sector by taking competition to the
doorsteps of the mainstream media.

Mr Wangusi said the CA had approved Safaricom's set-top box, giving it an
advantage in capturing the emerging home Internet market.

Safaricom plans to sell the universal set-top box in the local market,
meaning buyers will also have access to all free-to-air TV channels.

The telecoms operator's approach to the emerging digital broadcasting
dispensation is similar to that of Africa Digital Network (ADN), the
company owned by the three media houses that have been at war with the
government over digital migration.

ADN, which has a self-provisioning licence, plans to import universal
set-top boxes for which consumers will not pay monthly fees, but come with
add-ons such as wireless Internet access.

READ: Top media firms to stir market with free to air digital boxes
<http://www.businessdailyafrica.com/Corporate-News/Top-media-firms-free-to-air-digital-boxes/-/539550/2587236/-/b87jb9/-/index.html>

Broadcasters and telecommunication service providers have never been in
direct competition but the ongoing switch to digital broadcasting appears
to be setting the stage for broader technology-driven changes in the market
that may in future see Safaricom offer some TV content.

In the new digital dispensation, telecommunication companies such as
Safaricom, Wananchi Group, and Telkom Kenya can offer broadcast services
such as video on demand, taking competition a notch higher.
Broadcasters, on the other hand, have a chance to offer Internet services
to home users and earn extra revenue. Competition is particularly expected
to intensify in key areas such as Internet service provision as well as
dissemination of new

Mwendwa Kivuva, Nairobi, Kenya

"There are some men who lift the age they inhabit, till all men walk on
higher ground in that lifetime." - Maxwell Anderson

On 5 March 2015 at 12:21, Ali Hussein via kictanet <