[kictanet] Mombasa Internet traffic re-routed to Nairobi hub

Fiona Asonga tespok at tespok.co.ke
Tue Jun 9 14:12:09 EAT 2015

Dear Listers,

There seems to have been a misunderstanding of the facts and as a result a misrepresentation of the facts by Mark Okuttah in the Business Daily. For the purpose of clarity the facts are as follows:
1. AMSIX is no longer working with KIXP on the Mombasa IXP services.
2. Mombasa IXP was launched in 2009 and has been very growing slowly due to preference by operators to peer in existing POPs
3. The uptake though very slow saw an increase in interest as a result of getting Google to host substantive content for Kenya in Mombasa. There are several Google POPs in the country hosted by several players and these can now be serviced by the Mombasa gear.
4. Tanzania has their separate Google gear for the IXP in TZ
5. The Mombasa IXP has continued operations and is now receiving support from the Africa Union so it has not closed shop because AMSIX has left.
6. The Mombasa IXP has also changed locations and shall be officially launching the new location soon.
7. AMSIX has continued to support KIXP even after the termination of the joint management of the Mombasa POP and delivered substantive equipment to support Nairobi
8. The 4 operators peering have not had any incidents as the peering has continued despite the end of the partnership. We have requests in process from operators in Rwanda and several international CDN networks. The set target is to increase to 15 peering members by December 2015, a target; that will be achieved with the level of support that Africa Union has agreed to provide.

I hope this clarifies the state of affairs of the Mombasa peering location. We are happy to welcome local content providers to also peer directly at the IXP.

Yours Sincerly,

Fiona Asonga

Chief Executive Officer

Telecommunications Service Providers Association of Kenya/ Kenya Internet Exchange Point

Member Strategic Committee of the Africa Computer Emergency Response Team

NRO Number Council http://www.nro.net/about/number-council.html

ASO Address Council http://aso.icann.org/ac/

14 th Floor, Bruce House

Standard Street