[kictanet] #KeIGF15 Online Discussions Day Four: Management of Critical Internet Resources

Michuki Mwangi michuki.mwangi at gmail.com
Fri Jul 31 18:05:34 EAT 2015

Hi Barrack, et al,

Please see my comments inline.

On Thu, Jul 23, 2015 at 9:13 AM, Barrack Otieno via kictanet <

> 4. What is the state of IXPs in Kenya?  are we in retaining  more
> traffic locally  compared to say 2 years ago?

We have managed to grow peering in Kenya over the past 2 years. There is
more traffic being exchanged compared to two years ago. The KIXP records
1.2Gbps of aggregate peak traffic during the working days.

The traffic excludes CDN caches that are available locally but not peered
via the KIXP at the moment such as Google and Akamai caches. If their
traffic was to be measured and included, the aggregate traffic would exceed
5Gbps.

> 6. With the eminent depletion of IPv4 addresses around the world, what
> is the state of uptake of IPv6 addresses in Kenya?

According to Google 0.26% of users who access their services are on IPv6.
However, there are more networks that have IPv6 enabled on their core. What
is lacking is the allocation of IPv6 address space to end user networks.

> 7. What is being done to ensure there is more uptake of IPv6?

This is an initiative that TESPOK is working on to get more operators to
deploy IPv6 on the edge. However, I am personally of the view that if
anyone made a request for IPv6 address space from their service provider,
they will get it. I know this from experience where end-users (myself and
i-hub ) who have requested for IPv6 address space from our respective ISPs
have been assigned.

At this stage the question to ask what will trigger the roll-out/deployment
of IPv6 to end-users?. This is a tough task for TESPOK and ideas are
welcome. 50% of the work is done, 50% is pending.

> Then
> there is the exhaustion of IPv4 in some regions of the world like ARIN
> forcing them to go full V6 without dual-stacking, what impact does
> that have to our country where most networks and content is on v4?

As mentioned earlier, most operators already have IPv6 enabled on their
core networks. What is lacking is the deployment at end-user level.
However, as new IPv6 only networks emerge (from regions that have already
exhausted IPv4) we expect to see a corresponding effect in setup of
dual-stack end-user networks.

I hope that helps.

Regards,

Michuki.