[kictanet] #KeIGF15 Online Discussions Day Four: Management of Critical Internet Resources

Grace Mutung'u (Bomu) nmutungu at gmail.com
Fri Jul 24 08:26:18 EAT 2015

Hi Barrack,
Thank you for the questions.
Another scope gathered in a discussion on devolution elsewhere: someone was
just telling us the  role that County Governments have in infrastructure
development. To lay cable or set up structures, one needs some licences or
clearances from CGs. And these can get costly if one is carrying out a big
project. So, if County Governments waive these licence/clearance fees that
reduces the cost of infrastructure by 50% plus.
Regards,

kictanet at lists.kictanet.or.ke>:

> Listers,
>
> Feel free to continue with the discussions on the previous days
> threads. Today , we focus on management of critical internet resources
> in our country.
>
> Questions:
>
> 1. Is there an over arching national policy to guide infrastructure
> deployments within the country?
> 2. What is the current state of fiber optic cable across the country?
> Is there any redundancy on the cables laid across the country?
> 3. Are there policies in place for infrastructure sharing to avoid
> each operator laying their own cable thus passing the cost to the end
> user?
> 4. What is the state of IXPs in Kenya?  are we in retaining  more
> traffic locally  compared to say 2 years ago?
> 5. Communications Authority requires all .ke registrars and the
> registry to be licensed by it before they commence business. Why is
> the registry being licensed? What would happen if CA withdrew the
> license for the registry? Why are registrars licensed twice, first by
> KENIC, then CA? Will over regulation hurt the industry?
> 6. With the eminent depletion of IPv4 addresses around the world, what
> is the state of uptake of IPv6 addresses in Kenya?
> 7. What is being done to ensure there is more uptake of IPv6? Then
> there is the exhaustion of IPv4 in some regions of the world like ARIN
> forcing them to go full V6 without dual-stacking, what impact does
> that have to our country where most networks and content is on v4?
> 8.Do you have any other views regarding best practice in the
> management of critical internet resources?
>
> The floor is open.
>

> Thank you
>
> Best Regards

Grace L.N. Mutung'u